The Conversation Has to Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Dev Benjamin on Unsplash

During my freshman year of high school, a classmate killed himself after admitting to struggling with depression. Another six months later. A third after I moved to another school. The conversation after these tragic events turns to mental illness and what signs we should be looking for. Public school administrators glamorized events or “stomping the stigma” to make those aware of signs of depression and suicidal thoughts. The PR campaigns to make those aware of the signs were brief and had little impact long term. This didn’t just happen at my high school. This story has been duplicated several times over across the country with similar outcomes. Our country has trouble approaching the topic of mental illness in many other settings, not just schools.

Recently, I was diagnosed with anxiety. I’ve had a variety of reactions to the information when I shared that the people closest to me. I was told I could shake it off. Some told me to just get over it and it was normal. Some told me I was making it up. Those that decided I was making up my diagnosis distanced themselves from me. Others decided to treat me differently. My relationships with the people around me because of this diagnosis, this label, have changed. I’ve grown to be excluded from certain groups of friends and many have tiptoed around me, unsure how to act. But I don’t blame them. I can’t blame them.

Society has politicized mental illness instead of humanizing it. The stigma of mental illness has reached a point of isolating and excluding people instead of including them in all areas of this conversation. We aren’t taught how to interact with people or even support them during these times because it all boils down to politics. Should mental illness be covered under healthcare? Should people with mental illness be locked up? Should they be treated differently? Should they be able to use their diagnosis in the form of arguments in the court of law? We’re so caught up in these larger discussions that many forget to humanize this issue. There is a lack of understanding for many because there is little education in this area. The Christian church often sees mental illness as the “demon is creeping in” and often refers their congregation members that are suffering outward for help instead of offering support internally. For those in the workplace, bringing up personal details like mental illness could have negative reactions. Currently, the only way society is able to have this conversation is after something bad happens.

I don’t blame the people around me who couldn’t understand me or support me when I’ve needed it the most. But there has to be more out there than just ignoring the issue or politicizing the issue at stake. Until we change how and when we approach the topic, nothing will change about the way we have this conversation. When we discuss the politicized version of mental illness in our professional, spiritual, intimate, social, and educational communities, we’re doing it a disservice. Our communities could be offering safe spaces to have these conversations on a much more, basic level. Religious leaders could consider devoting time in services or classes to educate the members of their congregation. School administrators could tackle mental health in their curriculum in public schools that are appropriate for the ages. Business owners might consider adding education about mental health as a part of training or orientations.

The change in conversation will not take place in government or in the media but rather in a school, a doctor’s office, our churches, family gatherings, or outings with friends. It will take place in the safe spaces we’ve created to invite them in. This conversation won’t just impact me. It’ll impact the people who struggle with this each day. With a greater understanding, the conversations will not just be political, they’ll be human. The conversations will center on how to better understand and support those who are struggling with this issue. In turn, our communities can offer proper support.

Meagan Loyd is a senior at the University of Oklahoma studying Professional Writing at Gaylord College of Journalism. She loves Target, Starbucks, quarter-zip sweatshirts, Chicago Cubs Baseball, Sooner Football, and all of the books!
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!