10 Resources All OU Freshmen Need to Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Jane B on Pixabay

When I began my freshman year at OU in 2016, I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of people and departments on campus. Like most freshman, I experienced struggles with mental and physical health, keeping my grades up– all on top of surviving sexual assault.

Below are campus resources that ALL first year and transfer students need to know about.

1. SafeWalk

During midterms and finals season, many students often stay at the Biz or other campus buildings wayyy late at night. SafeWalk provides a safe escort to your car or dorm if you get nervous walking around campus! Just call 325-WALK, and escorts with identification and flashlights will be with you in just 10-15 minutes! SafeWalk operates seven days a week from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.

2. Sexual Misconduct Resources

OU offers several resources for students who have been subjected to gender-based violence, such as sexual harassment, discrimination, and sexual assault.

Anonymous Counseling and Guidance

Both OU Advocates and the Goddard Counseling Center offer confidential counseling and guidance to students who have survived sexual assault. OU Advocates is a 24/7 hotline. Each of the Advocates goes through training to ensure you are safe and given the help you need. If you have been subjected to sexual misconduct, please call them at (405) 615-0013

Reporting Sexual Misconduct

If you would like to report sexual misconduct, whether or not you choose to open an investigation, contact OU Title XI Office at (405) 325-2215 or OUPD at (405) 325-2864. If you are in danger, please call 911.

3. Preferred Name Change

To change/add your preferred name, go to your student account settings at one.ou.edu. For a name change on your student ID, see the Academic Records office on the second floor of Buchanan Hall.

4. Discrimination Reporting Services

If you are facing discrimination or harassment due to race, ability, gender identity, or sexual orientation, please contact Bobby Mason with the Equal Opportunity Office/Title XI at bjm@ou.edu

5. Tutoring

Gen Eds can be a bitch– especially if you’re taking Gen Chem or Biology. Most, if not all, general education courses at OU offer free action tutoring. Many even have one night a week where students can receive hands-on tutoring from TA’s and professors. Trust me on this, it’s so worth it to go. Action tutoring is the only reason I got an A in Biology my freshman year!

6. Free Food @ OU

This is THE twitter account to follow. Snagging free food being passed out on campus is a great way to get a filling lunch for free if you don’t have time to make it back to the Caf or you don’t have the money to buy lunch! There is usually free food available somewhere on the south oval or at the Union.

7. Disability Resource Center

The DRC is notorious for not being the easiest place to get registered for accomodations, but it does help! The DRC helps to provide equal access to all students at OU. Whether that be flexible attendance, different testing locations, extended test time, audio recorded lectures, or use of a computer for note-taking,

8. Major and Career Exploration

This is an excellent resource for students who are unsure of what they want to study or what they want to do after college. If you’re feeling this way, don’t panic! Most college students end up changing their major multiple times. Major and Career Exploration offers excellent advising from friendly staff that want to help you find your place on campus.

9. Mental Health Resources

Thousands of students at OU are struggling with mental health issues. While there is a shortage of counselors on campus after the Counseling Psychology Clinic closed, Emily McPherson from the OU Daily put together a database to help students find a counselor within reasonable distance that accepts their respective insurance policy.

10. OU Daily

An excellent way to keep up with campus administration, OU sports, and events happening in the Norman community.

Syd Stephenson

Oklahoma '20

Syd is an LGBTQ Studies junior at the University of Oklahoma. Currently, they are the senior editor for Her Campus, OU and a national blogger for Her Campus. After college, Sawyer hopes to work in journalism, the non-profit sector or as a lawyer. Previously, they were the assistant engagement managing editor and copy editor at the OU Daily. In their free time, they love to rock climb, exercise, read books about food, play with their cat Pizza, and put stickers on everything.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!