This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

There are a lot of tips for success out there, but some may be leading you in the wrong direction. This will hopefully clear a few things up and stress the most important tips for acing an interview.

They really DO look at your social media accounts. Most know it isn’t smart to post pictures while you are intoxicated on Facebook or swear words on your Twitter feed. But, there are other things they look at, too. For one, your grammar can either make it or break it for you. Try to be grammatically correct in your tweets and posts. If they see a lot of things like “luv” and “2,” instead of  “to” then it doesn’t make you seem very professional. Slang also becomes a habit, which shows that it would be risky to hire somebody who would make those mistakes in the workplace. Also, be careful when you are posting. If they see lots of post during normal work hours then they might assume you are a slacker.

It’s whom you know, not what you know. Yes, this is true to a certain extent. A lot of the time having an inside connection is how you get your foot in the door. But, once you do, put your big girl panties on and act like an adult. Don’t always rely on your inside connection. This will show that you are too dependent on others and not able to be responsible for yourself. Make those phone calls yourself, don’t have your inside connection do it for you. They did their part to get you a head start. Now, it’s your turn.

Your résumé says a lot about how well you will fit in a position. Try to avoid resume and cover letter templates. These can give you a good idea of what to aim for, but don’t just copy and paste. The templates should be unique to make you stand out from the hundreds of other résumés the company receives. It’s also important not to list obvious information as a skill. For example, Microsoft Office is not a skill. Everybody in this day and age is familiar with computers. It’s nothing that sets you apart from others. Social media is another no-no to list in your area of expertise. Having a Facebook account doesn’t make you a pro in the field of social media.  

When it comes to interviewing there is such a thing as being overdressed. Although it is important to look and nice and professional, you do not want to over do it. Flaunting designer everything in the face of your interviewer isn’t the way to land a job. Put thought and effort into your outfit, but don’t expect the clothes to seal the deal for you. Even if you are trying to land a job in fashion, there is more to it than just labels.

Do NOT show up late…. but don’t show up too early either. If you are any more than ten minutes early it is likely to annoy your interviewer. This makes them feel obligated to stop what they are doing to accommodate you. A good way to avoid being too early or late is to arrive at the location early and wait in the parking lot until five or ten minutes before your scheduled interview time. This is an appropriate time to make your arrival inside. Besides, who couldn’t use a last minute primp?

Provide thorough answers to their questions but don’t ramble on. Going on and on shows that you are unprepared and don’t really have a good and definitive answer for them. A good two minutes should be plenty of time for an answer. If you aren’t sure then politely ask them if your answer satisfies their question or if they would like for you to continue. If they want to hear more then they will let you know. 

I am a sophomore multimedia journalism major at Oklahoma State. Originally from Fort Worth, Tx. I am a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. I love photography and anything vintage!
I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.