This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Leaving high school, you are saying goodbye to all of your friends, and promising each other that you will stay in contact no matter what, but the reality of the situation is you won’t.

Entering college, you start out with those few friends that you met at college summer camp, or if you rushed for a sorority you meet more people through the stress. Once you meet your college friends, you start to grow instantly and the cutting off of the old begins.

The first thing to realized when it comes to college friendships, is that you most likely will not keep the ones you had from high school. Although, you may want to keep a long distance friendship, this is just as hard as keeping a long distance relationship. In my experience with high school friendships, everyone ends up with completely different schedules to where keeping in contact is a constant task. When things become a task, you stop making time for that person, so the friendship grows apart. Another thing to realize is that no matter how hard you try, you will grow apart from people. College friendships is like the true definition of the saying, “you win some you lose some”, because you will gain some really good friends, and lose some really good friendships. In college just because y’all are not friends anymore, doesn’t mean you can ignore the other person. You never know what type of relationships you will have with that old friend in the future, and if the last thing they remember you by is you being rude to them that is not going to get you very far. 

College friendships are different than any other friendship you will have. The people you meet in college are the people that will be in your life forever. You will be seeing those same people for years to come, even if y’all are not on the greatest of terms. College friends are a different type of people but they are the best kinds of people you will ever meet and learn from. 

#HERSEASZN