7 Things I Realized My Senior Year, that I Should’ve Figured Out Earlier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

College can be the most stressful or the most amazing experience in a persons life, all depending on how they manage and function in it. It is a time of self-discovery in a lot of ways and can really be beneficial to ones overall persona in a multitude of ways! I have experienced the my best years in college, and I aspire to inspire others to do the same.

Being a first generation college student is very challenging in itself, because you are essentially the one who has been. I have experienced a lot of ups (being a part of great organizations such as this one, getting A’s on test and homework, etc..) and I have experienced many downs (getting D’s on test, losing my grandfather while in college, etc…) But overall, all of these things have added to my college experience, and in a lot of ways school is my escape from my stressors. Not even just the typical going to class, but being able to be a part of a community of people that are all striving towards the same thing as you (and also partying hard asf) is such an AMAZING experience. 

1.You don’t have to have it all together! 

College is already stressful enough trying to meet all the needed requirements to graduate! Sometimes you will change your major, you will fail or have to drop a class, & many other things you will stress over! All through my freshman, sophomore, and junior year i was too busy worried about if I had it all together to actually have fun! 

2. You are NOT the only one going through what you’re going through. 

Weather your dealing with family issues, school issues, financial issues, or organization issues; you are not alone. This is an environment that is surrounded by young adults learning how to properly function in this ever growing society. 

3. Getting involved will pay off in the end! 

Coming from a small town to a huge university, it was hard finding myself amongst all the other students here. I was not comfortable & did not know if i would be accepted. I basically was overthinking the whole process (typical college student behavior). Get involved as early as possible! I waited until my junior year before I went ahead and start getting involved in my university. One thing i learned getting involved is that I should’ve done it earlier! It will pay off especially when you’re applying to grad school or different careers. They will love to see that you are involved in your campus & community! I am happy to have spent my time here at OSU doing things that will not only benefit others, but benefit me in the long run!

4.If you want to study abroad, DO IT!

Every since my freshman year, I’ve been saying I will study abroad. Every year, it was a different excuse. I didn’t have enough money, (there are scholarships for this), I didn’t know how to begin the process (there are advisors for this). Whatever excuse you make up, it will not ever amount to the possibility of new opportunities traveling the world. If you are looking for a reason to go ahead and do it, let this be a motivation! 

5.Finding a significant other will not always happen in college! 

You always here about it, college sweethearts getting married or having children together. In college, you will experience love, heartbreak, hate, confusion, and many more emotions. To add to all of that the season is approaching where college students go home and hear “so do you have a boyfriend?” It is not a good thing to hear, especially if you’re not with anyone! Love takes time, so do not rush yourself because of what others expect. Love is a beautiful thing & it will come when it is supposed to! Be patient & just always make sure you are in the position to be in a relationship.

6. SAVE!!!!!!!! 

You might not think about it as a freshman, but one thing I wish I would’ve done as freshman is managing my money and saving more! When you get out of college, you will want to travel, explore, probably even move out of the country. However, all of this will continue to be unfulfilled wishes if you do not have the funds to support your dreams. Not saying that money is a reason to not do something you want, but it will make the experience much more beautiful and rewarding. 

7. This time in your life is the most important when it comes to growing & finding yourself! 

As a freshman starting off in college, I liked to believe that I was already grown and independent. Now being a senior in college, I realize that I am not as grown as I previously thought I was . I am just now finding myself fully and have become so much more living and accepting of myself. Leaving high school, I though going to college alone would be enough to grow and find myself. However, as time passed I realized that I was my time in college that aided in my growth and the process of finding my self. I was not comfortable with who I was at first & I did not understand that at first. Now i am older I understand that what I have been through has matured me and helped me to be who I am today. College days are the main times in ones life thy they experiment the most growth and change; simply because it is a learning process in many ways. In time you will get your degree and look back on all the things you done and also the things you wish you would have done. I love my college experience and I cannot wait to graduate; to fulfill the things I wanted to do when I could not!

I am a Junior at Oklahoma State University majoring in Psychology minoring in philosophy with an option in pre-law. I love to write and read, and love magazines!