Which Group Fitness Class at Ping is Perfect for You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

A few staff writers got together to review some of our favorite group fitness classes at Ping. If you’re unsure of whether a class is a right fit for you, look below for our opinions. We looked at Bootcamp, HIIT, Zumba, Cardio Dance, and Piloxing.

Photo: Ohio.edu

Bootcamp

I had always loved working out, but I found myself bored of doing the same workouts everyday. That’s when I decided to try Bootcamp at Ping. Bootcamp combines strength training and cardio to create a workout that is intense but a lot of fun. It allows you to go at your own pace, but also requires you to challenge yourself. After attending this class consistently for a few weeks, I was surprised at how much I had improved. Each class is a new challenge, so this class is definitely great for people who enjoy pushing themselves. It is offered four times a week: Monday and Tuesday at 8 a.m., Wednesday at 12:15 p.m. and Thursday at 7:30 a.m.

HIIT

If you like an high-intensity workout, HIIT is perfect for you, especially since HIIT stands for “High Intensity Interval Training.” It’s split up into different circuits where with high-intensity interval exercises. You can do jumping jacks, burpees, planks, jump squats! The list goes on and on and you do something different every class. The trainer will write the names on the exercises so you know what will be coming next so you can mentally prepare yourself . If you want an effective, ass-kicking workout, attend this class! I loved every class I went to because I’m used to doing plyometric exercises from playing sports for my entire life. When I need an extra butt-kicking, I go right to HIIT. The atmosphere is fun, exciting and extremely motivating. You need all of the motivation you can get when you attend HIIT sessions. Want to get fit, definitely go to HIIT: Mondays at 4 p.m., Tuesdays at 9:15 a.m. and 3 p.m., Wednesdays at 4 p.m., and Saturdays at 1:45 p.m.

Zumba

I love Zumba! This class’ goal is to get you moving to fun music and burning calories at the same time. Zumba consists of arm movements, squats, ab movements, and sometimes burpees (uh-oh). JB teaches a beginner’s level Zumba, or for those who want a light, but exciting workout. Robert kicks you in gear with fast paced salsa moves and hip-hop dancing, shimmying your way to a sweaty time! I have never heard a bad thing about a Zumba class, and I can’t imagine anyone would dare say one! Zumba is offered four times a week: Tuesday at 7:15 p.m., Wednesday at 2:45 p.m., Thursday at 7 p.m., and Sunday at 1:30 p.m.

Cardio Dance

Last semester, I couldn’t make it to Zumba, so I decided to try Cardio Dance and fell in love. It’s high intensity dancing, but it doesn’t even feel like it because it’s so fun! Emily updates her awesome music weekly and gets you sweating in no time. Bring a friend to this class for a great time and maybe a few laughs when you can’t get that combo right. Cardio Dance is seven times a week: Mondays at 3 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:15 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m., Thursdays at 11 a.m. and 10 p.m., and Fridays at 11 a.m.

Piloxing

Piloxing is a 60-minute, interval workout combined of boxing, standing pilates, and dance. It’s barefoot training, so don’t be alarmed if you get blood blisters on your toes (I did, both feet). The class is exciting, especially with the dance aspect, and the intervals make the hour pass quickly. Piloxing is perfect for building stamina and for the people who hate repetitive workouts, like running. It’s only offered twice a week, catch the class Mondays at 7 p.m. and Wednesdays at 5 p.m.

Check out the Group Fitness Schedule below for more classes and let us know on Twitter which class is your favorite @HerCampusOhiou!

Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).
Ohio University Class of 2018 | Psychology major West Virginia native now living in Athens. I love traveling, eating junk food and quoting The Office. You'll probably find me yelling at a TV while watching football. 
Ohio University 2017 Alumna Communication Studies major | Business minor | Social Media certificate Qnary | Client Success Manager Some Good Wine | Event and Marketing Director Delta Zeta Alumna | Public Relations Advisor Her Campus | Chapter Advisor and past Campus Correspondent PRSSA | Mentor Living my best life in NYC.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano