This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

A new trend that has been rapidly gaining popularity is the “man bun.”  Everyone wants to be as cool as Jared Leto and Zayn Malik, two men in the media who pull off the man bun better than anyone else.  It’s no secret that girls have spent hours Googling how men like them get their hair so effortlessly perfect.  Several websites are dedicated to this hair trend including manbunhairsytle.net, which teaches less knowledgeable men not only how to style a man bun, but also the origins of the hairstyle and why it’s so popular.  Man buns are even becoming a craze at Ohio University, where there is a Twitter account dedicated to the hairstyle.  @OUManbuns tweets out photos of fellow Bobcats who are rocking the new ‘do daily, and they even retweet some pics of worthy buns that are sent to them.

Photo: style.gq.com

Casey Klicman is a junior at Ohio University, and he is the face, but not the creator, of the @OUManBuns Twitter page.  He had no idea about the account in its beginning stages, let alone the fact that his picture was used as the avi, until a friend brought it to his attention.  Casey gets recognized here and there around campus from man bun enthusiasts, and he says that sometimes people don’t even know his name; he finds it humorous when they simply refer to him as the “OU Man Bun Guy.”

Photo: pbs.twimg.com

Klicman decided to grow out his luscious locks for a greater cause than trendsetting; his plan has always been to donate it.  It has been 2 years since he began to grow his hair out, and it’s just past his shoulders now.

Since Klicman’s hair is so long and healthy (no straightening or curling involved in the art of man buns!), girls are constantly commenting on it.  When I told him that he had better hair than me, he laughed and said, “I get that all the time. I got it once today, actually!”  No surprise there!  Klicman claims that girls’ opinions on his man bun are about half and half.  Some like it, some don’t, and those girls who aren’t fans won’t hesitate to tell him how they feel.

Most girls with whom I spoke agreed that there is a certain type of guy who can pull off a man bun, and that the hairstyle is extremely hit or miss.  It’s safe to assume that @OUManBuns only RTs top of the line buns, and if any guys (or let’s be real – girls) out there need hair inspo, the account is there for the stalking. 

As of now, I think these man buns are still my favorite: 

Photo: allure.com

i.kinja-img.com

Photo: ilovedogsandpuppies.com

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano