Top 5 Vegan Thanksgiving Foods You Have to Try This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

For many people, Thanksgiving is a daunting holiday when trying to go vegan. It is usually filled with a great deal of overthinking throughout the weeks before, followed by some disoriented grocery shopping and a day full of the family making jokes about the fake turkey on the table. But in reality, Thanksgiving is a great day for vegans to try out new recipes and help your family test out the waters of a new diet in lifestyle. So, here is a list of simple (but delicious) vegan Thanksgiving treats that will impress even the carnivores.

Vegan Pumpkin Spice Smoothie

Not many people realize that breakfast, the most important meal of the day, is still important on Thanksgiving. This tasty Thanksgiving breakfast smoothie created by SweetVeganSara will get you into the holiday spirit right after you get out of bed and help you to kick start your day.

Green Bean Casserole

A staple on the Thanksgiving table– and of course, there is a vegan version of it. This warm, tasty, comfort food is something that no one will notice is vegan because it looks and tastes just like the real thing.

https://pin.it/1OuMGwh

Sweet Potato Casserole Boats

This new take on a traditional dish will help make things a lot less messy in your kitchen, as the whole dish is contained within each potato. Not to mention, they are also healthy!

Cranberry Sauce

Canned cranberry sauce, although usually vegan, can often contain a great deal of processed sugar. This recipe created by Marisa Moore contains healthier ingredients, as well as orange juice and zest, adding a slightly different flavor than traditional cranberry sauce would have.

Arguably the most important part, Vegan Turkey

My favorite part of every holiday meal is the so-called “celebration loaf.” There are many different kinds and brands: Tofurkey, Field Roast, Quorn, Gardein, as well as many recipes for homemade main dishes. But, my personal favorite is Tofurkey’s Veggie Roast stuffed with wild rice and Field Roast’s celebration loaf filled with butternut squash, apples, and mushrooms.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Stay safe, and remember to try to eat kindly this week!

Savannah Dawson is a sophomore at Ohio University studying Journalism, working towards a minor in Music and certificates in Italian Studies and Sales She serves as the Director of Communications for Alpha Gamma Delta and Recruitment Ambassador for the Ralph and Luci Schey Sales Centre. In her personal life she is a lover of fashion, trying new foods, music, animals, and making Pinterest boards. When she is not learning to play new music, she can often be found re-watching Gossip Girl (again).
Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!