Steps to Waking Up for a 9 a.m. Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Students are either beginning to schedule their classes for next semester, or they already have. Many will be taking the unavoidable early classes in their future semester. Some may love an early class for leaving their afternoons and evenings free, however many simply can’t wake up and drag themselves to class in time. Waking up early after a late night of studying (or binging a Netflix show), will likely result in your least favorite day of the week. As a reminder, while there is still time to drop and add classes for the semester, here are the eight steps most people face when waking up for a 9 a.m. class:

1. Staying up late the night before Even with a 9 a.m., it is almost inevitable that doing homework or having “just one more episode” syndrome turns into a much later night than planned.

2. Setting a minimum of 20 alarms To ensure the class is not missed, multiple alarms might be set. This will likely annoy your roommate and possibly even your neighbors.

3. Pressing snooze as many times as possible After calculating the latest time you can afford get up, chances are the snooze button will be hit until you use up every last minute of sleep. 

4. Denial There is only so much that can be denied and a 9 a.m. class is not one of them, especially if attendance is mandatory.

5. Finally waking up and getting ready in 5 minutes flat After hitting the snooze button about five times, you’re finally up and must hurry to get dressed to look somewhat presentable. Although you usually end up in sweatpants and slides.

6. Skipping breakfast Waking up at the last second does not leave time for breakfast, even if it is the most important meal of the day. If you get lucky, you’ll grab a granola bar while running out the door.

7. Speed walking to class (who am I kidding? You have to run) If that 9 a.m. is on the other side of campus, you know to make it on time you must speed walk, climb Jeff Hill and hope that the escalators in Baker Center are not broken.

8. Suffering through class tired and uninterested You made it just in time! However with the lack of sleep, class will likely be unpleasant due to being tired. This makes trying to take notes and pay attention nearly impossible.

While I’m not saying you need to drop your 9 a.m. class, I am saying that waking up for it is most likely going to be more difficult than the class itself.

(All photos courtesy of Giphy)  

A senior at Ohio University, Hannah Moskowitz is majoring in the news and information journalism track at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. During her time there, she is president, campus correspondent and writes for Her Campus. In her free time, she writes for her personal blog: www.hannahmeetsworld.com. When she's not writing, she loves to paint, hammock with friends and take care of her plants.