Wellness

Science Says That Your Cats And Dogs Help You Live A Longer, Healthier Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Pets. Pretty much everyone has them, and for a good reason. While we may often think that we are the caretakers in our pet-and-human relationships, that may not always be the case. Your pets may actually be making you healthier, and happier. Here’s what science says.

1. Having a pet may make you increase your activity

This mostly goes for dogs more so than cats, but either way, having a pet forces you to get up and be active. Dogs need to be walked, played with, and they force you out of bed every morning to feed them. Without even realizing it, bonding with your pet allows you to be more active than you would typically be without them. Even cats like to play, whether you’re dangling a string around for them to chase, throwing toys at them, or even taking them on outdoor walks. Our pets make us get up and move throughout the day.

2. They help with loneliness and mental health

Having a small furry companion has been scientifically proven to help with various mental health disorders. Having a pet around helps to ease stress, reduce anxiety, and even help some people cope better with depression. The reasoning behind this is that pets force us to get out of bed in the morning, and give us a “purpose” in life. Our pets, need us to take care of them. There’s a reason that we can train and register our pets as emotional support animals and therapy dogs/cats. Also, you can use them as free therapy, as they won’t be telling anyone your secrets.

3. Some studies show that cat purrs heal our bodies and help cope with illness

Studies have shown that the frequencies of a cat’s purr can have healing properties for our bodies. Cat’s purring helps to improve bone density, and even heal soft tissues such as muscle, tendon and ligament injuries. This is due to the fact that the frequency of a cat’s purr is similar to the frequency that is used by scientists for vibrational therapy in regenerating tissues. Studies have also shown that cats can help in lowering blood pressure, reduce heart attacks, and help to heal infections and swelling. A 20-year study showed that those who have never owned a cat are 40% more likely to have a heart attack than those who have! Plus, they’re pretty dang cute, too.

If you’re thinking about getting a pet after reading this, remember to always adopt and not shop. Saving their life could also very well be saving your own life, too.

Jaime is currently pursuing her bachelor's degree in Retail Merchandising and Fashion Product Development at Ohio University. Although she's from the Jersey shore, you won't find her fist pumping at the club very often. She is extremely passionate about fashion, animals, and the environment. You can almost always find her hanging out her with her cats, shopping at thrift stores, or hiking in the woods!