Quotes That Help When Starting College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Starting college is overwhelming. All the supplies you need to live on your own, the hills you have to walk up to get to class, and getting the courage to find that elevator to skip the hill. When you’re unsure about your major, the classes you’ve selected, and the professor. All of the textbooks and supplies you need to buy on a strict budget can cause stress. Even getting out of bed in the morning for classes can suck. Then the whole balancing college and a social life can be super confusing. The freedom of being able to explore and hang out on Mill Street and watch drunk people pet the police’s horses, please don’t pet the horses. And when your tapestry keeps falling off your wall, you have to problem solve how to keep it from not.     

All of this and the anxiety of classes, meeting new people, and joining clubs become daunting. Sometimes you just want to hide in your dorm with Chipotle and cry in the dark. Don’t do that, there’s a whole campus to explore! Go out and get familiar with the streets, the local verbiage, and the local businesses. Try all the coffee shops and find which one is the best for studying. And when you’re unsure about college and going out to do new things, keep some of these quotes in mind to help ease the anxiety. 

“If you’re always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be.” – Maya Angelou

“Nothing is absolute. Everything Changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.” – Frida Khalo

“You never know what’s around the corner till you peek. Hold someone’s hand while you do it. You will feel less scared.” – Amy Poehler

“You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute.” – Tina Fey

“A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. That’s why they don’t get what they want.” – Madonna 

“I could not, at any age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived. Curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“One likes people much better when they’re battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph.” – Virginia Woolf

“Courage is like a muscle. We strengthen it by use.” – Ruth Gordon

“One of the most courageous things you can do is identify yourself, know who you are, what you believe in and where you want to go.” – Sheila Murray Bethel

A Freshman studying Visual Communications Publication and Infographic at Scripps College. In her free time she loves makeup, art, and binge watching anything on Netflix.