Perks and Drawbacks of Having Class Only Two Days a Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s that time of year again! A time where we are getting ready to schedule our classes for fall semester and start to hate the semester we are oh-so-close to being finished with.

I started this semester overly excited about my schedule. I made sure that I only have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the dream right?

Well, there is a lot that comes with the responsibility of being one of the most well-planned schedule holders on campus, and I’m here to tell you all about it!

Note: This all applies to people that want classes only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays as well.

Perk: You’ll never miss a class.

This is the first semester where I haven’t skipped any of my classes. When you only have them twice a week, it’s not much of an excuse to be exhausted from classes the day before or not have had enough time to get your work done. Let’s be real, we know too many teachers now are counting attendance for about 50% of your grade.

Drawback: An entire day of classes can be exhausting.

I’m still taking 15 credit hours, and when you start at 9 a.m. and end at 4:20 p.m., it’s a LONG DAY. I always have a little less attention for my last class because I haven’t had more than 10 minutes of a break between classes.

Perk & Drawback: You have to pack your lunch.

Sure, it takes a couple extra minutes out of your morning and you have to find room in your already filled backpack for it, but you won’t have to worry about spending some extra money on Court Street when you are too lazy to walk back home between classes. There is something a bit nostalgic about packing your lunch, but who doesn’t like a little flashback two or three times a week?

Perk: On days you don’t have classes, you can plan ANYTHING YOU WANT!

No need to worry about finding time between classes to go to work, or the gym, or to cram for an exam. You have ALL DAY on those days off to do it! Heck, if you have nothing to do you can even sleep in until noon! I always utilize those days to plan meetings, go to work or even do simple tasks like grocery shopping when Kroger isn’t packed.

Drawback: If you forgot something, there is no way you can get it.

There are going to be days when you wake up late and have to plan for an entire day of classes in about 20 minutes. Sometimes, you will forget your phone, or laptop or maybe even your lunch. Hopefully you have some really great roommates that will be able to bring it to you while you are running from one class to another.

Perk: When your day of classes is done, it is the best feeling in the world.

Just knowing that you’re done with classes and have a day to rest is an awesome feeling. You can celebrate by coming home and turning on Netflix or going to the bars and getting a little too tipsy. (Because you don’t have class tomorrow and can afford to be hungover!)

So when you schedule your classes in the next few weeks, really think about not only what you need to schedule, but also what you want to schedule. Will I try to do it again next semester? Probably. Is it for everyone? Definitely not. So schedule wisely my friends!

GIFS from Giphy

Sophomore Strategic Communication Major. Lover of athletics and nerding it up in marching band. #Marching110 World traveler and future PR specialist. Pretty decent at speaking Chinese. On my way to saving the world, one PR crisis at a time.
Paige is a student studying Journalism, Social Media, and Women's Studies at Ohio University. She is actively involved with Her Campus Ohio U and Thread Magazine. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @paige__rochelle (two underscores!)