nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

New Year, New Decor: 9 Tips On Redecorating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

With 2019 in full swing, students are returning to campus and classes. Coming back to campus can give students mixed feelings about the cold weather, their new classes and their current living situation. Living in an old dorm or maybe not the best apartment can make students feel unhappy or prevent them from having a safe space they can call home. With the new year, it’s time for some new decor to liven up your living space and give that comfy, homey feel. Here are 9 tips on redecorating your room for the new year:

1. Watch “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo” on Netflix

A great way to kick off redecorating is watching some episodes of “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo”. If you’re in the mood to completely go through your belongings and re-organize your life, this is the perfect way to start your journey to re-doing your room.

1. Go through your closet

Going through your closet can be as big as going through your clothes and shoes to sell, donate and throw away, or as little as just re-organizing your closet to allow for better function on days you have those early morning classes.

1. Clean your bathroom

Make your bathroom about functionality. You want to make sure that you and guests can use your bathroom comfortably while also being able to get ready fast in the morning or night before bed. Adding touches like a nice soap, candle or fun towel will give the bathroom your own personal touch. If you have a community bathroom in your dorm, take this time to clean and re-organize your shower caddy so you can get in, and out, as fast as you can.

1. Find new wall art or a tapestry

Decorating your room last semester probably consisted of hanging pictures, art, or tapestries on your walls to give the boring, plain walls life. With the new year and new semester, take some time to find new wall art, mirrors or change the layout of your hanging pictures to give some new spice to your room.

1. Add plants

Getting plants for your room will brighten your room, bring actual life in and won’t be as serious or take as much responsibility as having a pet. Adding succulents, air plants or ferns will help the air and are easy to take care of.

1. Find new bedding or fun pillows

Having the same comforter, sheets and pillows might make you feel dreary by the end of the year. Flipping your comforter over to the other side, getting fresh sheets and adding a sassy, decorative pillow will completely change your room.

1. Bring stuff from home

Bringing trinkets from home will make you happier and add that touch of home away from home. This can be something small like a little porcelain statue or little jewelry box.

1. Print out photos of friends and family

Printing photos of your friends and family is an amazing way to keep your loved ones close to you in college. Printing photos are relatively inexpensive and fast at most pharmacies. You can then frame these photos or simply hang them on your walls with decorative washi tape.

1. Lighting, lighting, lighting!

Brightening up your room with lamps, salt lamps, neon signs and even just opening your curtains and blinds will drastically change your mood and make your room feel warm and welcoming. Opening up your curtains will allow natural light and a pretty few of the outside winter months.

Hopefully, these tips can help you re-decorate your room and allow for another fun and successful semester!

A senior at Ohio University, Hannah Moskowitz is majoring in the news and information journalism track at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. During her time there, she is president, campus correspondent and writes for Her Campus. In her free time, she writes for her personal blog: www.hannahmeetsworld.com. When she's not writing, she loves to paint, hammock with friends and take care of her plants.