nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My First Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

“Internship”: the word has been drilled into my head ever since the first day of college. Thinking about getting an internship can be an exciting and scary process. Internships teach real world experience in a field of study, so I knew it was important to find one I was passionate about.

Since I am a freshman, I didn’t see any reason for me to apply for an internship because I’m so young. However, my mindset changed when I heard Spoon University, an online food publication I write for, was looking for remote interns. This sounded like a great opportunity for me to build my brand and develop over the summer.

I ended up getting a coveted spot as a Spoon intern, but it didn’t happen overnight. Here are some of the stages I went through to get my first internship:

1. I found the perfect opportunity

When I found out about Spoon’s internship, I knew I needed to apply. This would be a great chance for me to make my name in the journalism world. Not to mention I could possibly meet Guy Fieri somehow if he discovers my writing. A girl can dream. All I had to do now was apply.

2. I filled out an application

Filling out any application can be stressful, but filling out an internship application takes it to the next level. These applications want to know everything about your life. “Why are you the best person for this job?” I DON’T KNOW I JUST AM. It’s the simplest questions that make you question your entire existence, but I managed by being me in my application.  

3. I forced myself to feel accomplished…for the moment

I turned in the required materials and made myself think positive. I just filled out an application for an internship, gosh I’m such a responsible adult. Don’t mess with me world, I’m going places. The worst they can do is say no, right?

4. I waited forever

I waited

And waited…

AND WAITED

Make. It. Stop. What is taking them so long? Are they trying to let me down gently? I just want to know my fate. Waiting for their decision was the worst part because it felt like forever. Even though they told me when to expect a decision, I hoped they would run ahead of schedule. They didn’t. Did they want me to have a minor heart attack? In the end, they let me know on the date they said they would.

5. I opened the email deciding my fate

Everyone calm down, it’s going to be fine. I saw “Spoon Internship” in the subject line and I freaked out a little. I wanted to open it, but I couldn’t. I was so nervous. My palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms heavy, with mom’s spaghetti and all that good stuff.

6. I celebrated!

I looked at the word “congratulations” and screamed internally with happiness. It’s was so rewarding to see all my hard work pay off. It also comforted me to know that someone else believed in my work.

I am beyond thrilled to start my internship with Spoon University in the summer. I also can’t wait to see what other internships I find in the future.

(All gifs courtesy of giphy.com) 

Kara is a senior studying advertising at The University of Georgia. She's hails from Pittsburgh, Pa and thinks of herself as a Pennsylvania Peach living in the South. Find out more about her on her website: www.karaskloud.wordpress.com.