collegebeautyawards final CBA COLLEGE
collegebeautyawards final CBA COLLEGE
Original Illustration by Neula Ha for Her Campus Media

My 2022 Favorites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

2022 was a whirlwind! It marked the end of my first year of college, the beginning of my second year at college, moving in with my boyfriend for the first time, and so much more. Every year that I get to experience I see as a blessing and this one is not different. I am the type of person to have obsession phases that weave in and out of my life, that includes many favorites and dislikes! Here are my favorites from 2022. (Just a disclaimer: not everything was released or made in 2022, just something I discovered then or have been obsessed with. Also these are in no specific order).

1. The deck by ashley flowers

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-deck/id1603011962

The deck is a branch off of the Crime Junkies podcast, focusing in on unsolved mysteries in a form of advocacy to help solve cold cases. Ashley Flowers was my favorite speaker on the Crime Junkies podcast, because to be honest Britt annoyed me (but I am sure she’s a lovely person) so I was over the moon to find out that Ashley was making a solo podcast. Each episode features a new card from an unsolved crime card deck. When a case goes cold, law enforcement puts people or cases on cards that are sold or even put in prisons to try and encourage more clues.

2. the five senses meditation

The school year can become so stressful, where your mind is racing five million miles a minute. A great way at grounding yourself is doing the five senses exercise to make yourself more present. For example, think to yourself about 5 things you see, 4 things you hear, 3 things you can touch, 2 things you can smell, 1 thing you can taste. It is a great way of bringing yourself back into the room and also is great for calming other people down as well!

3. my cat

This year my boyfriend and I adopted a cat from a local shelter. He (my cat) has since become my emotional support animal so he can live in our dorm together. My cat lightens up my life every single day. He may make messes by knocking things over or bite at my feet too hard but it is all worth it. He is such a vital part of our family together and I am so glad my boyfriend and I expanded our family by adopting such a sweet kitten.

4. sarah cline “It’s crown time”

@tallglassofcline

What do the crowns make you think of? Would love to create some Christmas Queen magic this season! @verdessafairy never dosappoints! #crowntok #crown #unboxing #crownedcrew #christmascrown #tistheseason #queen

♬ Monkeys Spinning Monkeys – Kevin MacLeod & Kevin The Monkey

For those of you who don’t know, I have been obsessed with anything that has to do with royalty and the royal family so when I stumbled across Sarah Cline’s Tiktok I was immediately hooked. Ms. Cline makes her own crowns but also receives crowns from other creators in the same sphere. She is living out my best dream of owning her own crowns and living every day like she is the princess of the world.

5. exploring more genres of music

If you have read my content before, I have mentioned that I am currently studying to get my undergrad degree in music education. Through that degree I have discovered so many new types of music like Bossa Nova which originated from the country of Brazil or even new classical pieces to explore. I have delved into the world of music even further investigating music from different time periods, like right now I am listening to Baroque music. I have expanded my horizons on different genres of music but also different subcategories of those genres.

6. my dream mascara combo

I have been trying to find a drugstore dupe for the Glossier Lash Slick only so I can buy mascara in store instead of waiting for an order to come in from online. When I was working at my summer job, one of my coworkers had the best eyelashes and I had to know what mascara she was using. Turned out she was using a primer from Loreal, specifically the Voluminous Superstar Mascara but the primer or 1 side. After priming she used the Maybelline Lash Sensational Sky High Mascara to coat her lashes. This is the most amazing combo because it lengthens without looking like spider legs, it improves voluminosity without looking clumpy, holds a curl, and separates lashes. I personally have not noticed any flaking when I use this combo and it stays on all day, but is not tedious to remove at night. Such an amazing combo and I will use these together until the day I die!

7. The paul mitchell tea tree and lavender mint moisturizing shampoo and conditioner

I have always had my struggles with dandruff just because my scalp is overly dry and this shampoo and conditioner combo has fixed that immediately! It refreshes my scalp with a cooling sensation and does not dry out my hair when I use it. I have been using this for going on two years now and I don’t know if I will ever use a different shampoo if I have the option. It makes my hair smell and feel so good! Find it on Ulta Beauty.

8. rupauls drag race

Rupauls Drag Race is a competition show to find America’s next drag superstar! I have been watching this show for years now and after a break from almost all TV, I got hooked on Drag Race again. After season 9, I felt like the show could not be topped because of how amazing all of the queens are. However, the most recent season, season 14, I was proved wrong by the amazing queens that starred on the show. I can not wait for the next season to come out in January!

9. gelly roll pens

Obviously in class I have to take a lot of notes, but why have your notes be boring when you could use pens that are fun bright colors, muted pastels, metallics, or even glitters? They just bring so much joy to my day, who would’ve known something as simple as a fun pen could make my day just a notch better.

10. reading

I never realized how much I cherished my reading time until just now, going on winter break. During the school year, I am so busy that I never get to truly enjoy my books or even have time to read. It feels like I wake up, go to school, sometimes eat, and then sleep. It can be a pretty toxic cycle so being able to take some time to myself right now and just sit down with a good book has been saving me over this break and over any break! Here’s my GoodReads account if you want any book recs!

Hi! I am Maddie and I am from Kent. I love crystals, plants, music, and I am really into chakra cleansing. I hike and do yoga during my free time! My major is music education and my dream job is to be an elementary music teacher. I am in a treble ensemble called Bella Voce, a music fraternity called Sigma Alpha Iota, and Nafme!