I Finally Watched Twilight: I Finally Get The Hype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Everyone I know has raved about Twilight and how much they love it, but I have never been big on fantasy romance, so I never watched it. A few days ago, I was feeling like watching something new, and came across the first Twilight movie on my Hulu “suggested for you”, so I settled in and watched. My life changed from then on.

Going in, I honestly didn’t know as much about this movie as I thought I did. I pretty much knew there was a werewolf vs. vampire rivalry, and they fought for Bella’s affection; Edward was dark and mysterious, and Jacob was silly but lovable, yet serious when he needed to be. I did not know that Jacob would barely be in it. That was genuinely crazy to me, did the whole Team Edward versus Team Jacob thing start later? Also, that is one thing I really don’t understand: the Edward hype. He is not all that! Sure, he did have me kicking my feet once or twice, but that doesn’t mean he is so attractive that he should have been starting all-out wars between pre-teen girls in the 2010s. Absolutely absurd in my opinion. What is so appealing? Those freaky giant googly eyes? His sparkly skin? (btw no man should ever have skin that sparkly) I just don’t get it (now if they remade the movie today with Jacob Elordi as Edward, I’d be there lol). I also, thought that Edward would be dark and mysterious the whole time, but he was not. That is not what I signed up for. He was kind of silly, and I liked the personality he had, but I DID NOT sign up for a lovable guy.

The scene where they are in the woods and Edward is like once and for all confessing to be a vampire is so goofy. The way he jumps around is so funny to me, and I know 2009 CGI wasn’t great, but I don’t get how everyone was falling in love with THAT. So silly.

On another note, I’m Team Alice forever to be honest. Before I ever saw this movie, I would always see pictures of her on Pinterest and edits on Instagram and it has been my dream to look like her. That haircut is amazing and my dream. Her style is absolutely great. I used to pin pictures of her on my “outfits” Pinterest board (c’mon we all had one) and then would go thrifting specifically to find outfits that looked like her aesthetic. She was also so sweet to Bella throughout the entire movie, like genuinely the kindest in the whole film. Even though many of the other vampires in Edward’s “family” had problems with Bella in one form or another, Alice wanted to keep her safe and be her friend from the get-go. During that baseball scene, I want to scream and cry. She is so hot and amazing and beautiful. I am in LOVE with her and always will be (I don’t know what happens in the next movies, but if I find out something bad, I will not be pleased).

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I went in with skepticism (as I am a naturally born hater), but I was thoroughly pleased. I could probably watch this movie a million more times and not get even a little bored with it.

I have heard mixed reviews about the movies after the first, and some say they are better, but some say they will never truly live up to the impeccable vibes and nostalgia of the first movie. I guess the only way I can find out is by watching them.

I am a Sophomore majoring in marketing and business analytics with a minor in PR and advertising. I am excited to be writing for HerCampus and sharing my thoughts with y’all! Some fun facts about me are that I enjoy crocheting, watching movies, music, thrifting, theater, and pretty much everything tbh. Happy reading😘😘