How I Learned To Love Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day has a stigma of only being a fun holiday if you are in a relationship. This idea that it is time to only celebrate romantic relationships can create a toxic holiday. Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays and even though I am usually single during this time, there are ways to make it a fun day. I think it is important to remember that this holiday should be a positive day and not one to dread because you don’t have a date.

A few years ago, I decided to change my attitude about Valentine’s Day and see it as more than a day to buy heart-shaped chocolate and flowers. After seeing my friends post online and talk about the romantic dates that they had or what their partner bought them for the holiday, I would feel bad about myself because I didn’t have the same experience. This caused me to resent the holiday and I would use the day as a time to feel bad about myself.

After having this attitude year after year I decided to use the holiday as a way to celebrate the growth I have made as a person. Since the holiday focuses on love, I choose to show the people close to me how much I appreciate them. While I still don’t have anyone to celebrate the holiday with, I look forward to it each year.

If Valentine’s day is a difficult time for you, here are some ways to focus on yourself, friends, or family:

• Have dinner with friends

Meeting friends for dinner is a great way to celebrate Valentine’s Day. This way you are surrounding yourself with people you love and it is easier to forget the feelings of being alone.

• Watch an empowering movie

Having a movie night is another fun thing to do on Valentine’s Day. Watch a movie that makes you feel good.

• Have a self-care night

Taking a long bath, doing a face mask, or simply going to bed early can help you feel better. Use the day to focus on yourself and the growth you have made. Meditating or reading a book can also be a great way to focus your energy on yourself.

• Buy yourself something nice

Treating yourself to something you have been wanting can be a great way to show yourself some love.

Remember that Valentine’s Day doesn’t always have to be about relationships. Instead, it can be about loving the people in your life.