kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fun Outdoor Activities for Bobcats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Bobcats and Bobkittens, we have arrived! After a painful winter, we’re coming out strong and spring is springing! (I’d say sprung, but I don’t want to get your hopes up too much.) There are so many fun things to do in Athens in the springtime.

Fest

I know partying isn’t for everyone, but people-watching can be just as fun. Athens swells with people and everyone is super friendly. Not to mention, everyone wants to have a good time, so people love making new friends and new memories! Play a fun game and challenge your friends to see how many selfies they can take with strangers. Loser buys the chicken and waffles! But don’t forget to be safe.

Photo: farm5.static.flickr.com

Play sports

With the nice weather, be sure you take advantage of green grass or miscellaneous fields. Try a soccer game or maybe just throw a flying disc with a couple of friends. There are open fields behind Walmart (it’s not a far walk if you take the bike path and some friends), or try the skate park (again, on the bike path) and impress everyone with your sick skateboarding skills.

Hiking

The Hocking Hills area isn’t far, but if you don’t have access to a car, try hiking behind the Ridges. Bong Hill and Radar Hill are super fun. Be careful though, they get slick with mud after it rains.

Photo: nationalgeographic.com

Go Swimming

It’s finally nice enough to jump in and relax at the Aquatic Center. Laps are open Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. until 3 p.m., and open swim is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 7 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. and Saturday/Sunday from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. Show off that beach bod you’ve been working for all winter *insert arm flex emoji*.

The Ridges

The Ridges are a super cool and creepy part of Athens life and culture. They currently house the Kennedy Art Museum which is a really neat collection of art and it also has a really yummy coffee shop. After going through the museum, grab a coffee to go, and check out some of the cemeteries or the local architecture of The Ridges. Be sure to print out the spookiest stories and scare your friends with them.

Photo: forgottenoh.com

Picnic

This one should be fairly self-explanatory. Grab some sandwiches and head to Emeriti Park.

Study Outside

Finals make everyone sad, but we all need to get through them. Being inside when it’s gorgeous out sucks. Try studying outside! The bright light increases endorphins, making retention rates higher. Basically if you study outside, you’ll be a genius. Bonus: you’ll get a tan while you’re getting smarter.

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano