Style > Beauty

The Best Skincare Products I tried in 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Have you heard of that story of King Midas? He was so obsessed with gold, he counted how many gold bricks he had on a weekly basis. I do the same thing, but with my face masks. I’m a bit of a skincare fanatic. I’ve got turmeric face oils in my bathroom cabinet, clay face-washes in my backpack, and Korean sheet masks in my fridge.

It’s a bit of a problem. But in 2018 I decided to take this to another level and resolved to try newer, more innovative skincare products. My bank account didn’t love it, but my skin did! Here are some of the best products that I came across in my quest.

The cleanser you can count on

I tried African Black soap from Shea Moisture because everyone’s celebrity crush, Zendaya, recommended a similar product. This is my go-to cleanser twice a day and it leaves my skin feeling squeaky clean. If you have dry or sensitive skin it might not be suitable for daily use, but it will definitely pull out all the gunk from oily skin.

Keeping up with the Koreans

Any list of amazing beauty products would be incomplete without including a fun item from a Korean beauty brand. The Watermelon Jelly sheet mask from Glow Recipe has been all over Instagram, once you figure out how to separate the sheets and stick them on perfectly – it only gets better. I would recommend wearing this for 15-20 minutes based on your skin type and lying down, mine kept slipping off while I watched Brooklyn 99. For a more budget-friendly Kbeauty sheet mask take a pick from the variety of options that Mediheal offers.

Perfect Pout

You know those games we play where we ask each other, “If you were stranded on a deserted island, what five things would you take with you?” A moisturizing lip balm would be on the top of my list. Out of the ones that I’ve tried, the Paris Water Balm from BKR comes in a cute little pot. I wear it at night, its soft rose scent and long-lasting properties keep my lips plump till morning. For everyday use, I go for the affordable Lemon and Mint Lip Balm from Skinfix, it’s hydrating without being sticky.

A mask to mask my issues

To nail any makeup look one has to start with clear skin. The Glamglow Supermud face mask, packed with activated charcoal, is perfect for when you want a deep-clean. The gray color, slightly rough texture, and woodsy fragrance made me feel like I was putting real mud on my face. Next time you’re getting ready for a party put this on for 15 minutes and watch your skin glow. For something you can find in the local supermarket, Freeman’s Charcoal and Black Sugar Mud mask is a great pick.

Naturally nourished

More and more beauty brands are making products that have natural ingredients, not only are these good for your skin but also for the environment. Ren Evercalm Overnight Recovery Balm is perfect for people with oily skin who avoid moisturizers or heavy lotions. My skin gets greasy very quickly but in winter it also gets (painfully) dry. I would simply rub a little bit of this balm on the back of my hand to melt it and apply it on my thirsty skin. It works wonders without feeling heavy. Another effective natural moisturizer to try is Alba Botanica’s Hawaiian moisturizer, it’s packed with aloe and green tea, and a little goes a long way.

Purva was born and brought up in Mumbai, India and is now a graduate journalism student at Ohio University. She is interested in women's magazines and issues of diversity in the media.