This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

This summer is only two weeks away which means I have 336 hours, 20 minutes, and 5 seconds to get my life together. Or then I will basically drown in student debt. There is so much pressure in getting an internship for the summer or a steady income to pay the bills that the end of the semester is filled with anxiety and worry. Oh, and of course, you have finals to think about too. It’s kind of a lot, and by the time summer rolls around, you barely have the space to collect your thoughts, jam yourself into a small used-car and drive home with nothing but exhaustion and relief.

Okay, that was a bit overdramatic, but getting work for the summer, especially an internship, is every college student’s dream. It’s what we all hope to achieve sometime in our collegiate career. Luckily for me, that is what I will be doing for these next months!  I just landed this opportunity, and I can’t describe how relieving it feels to have financial security…did I mention it was a paid internship too?! I was literally $300 short of missing my next rent payment so the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. I’m currently juggling a car payment, rent, and a small allotment for my personal enjoyments as a 20-year-old, so I must say that I am pretty booked this summer. Although work isn’t a tropical vacation, I am overjoyed to be busy after a previous year of boredom. Last year, I worked several random jobs such as DoorDash and InstaCart, and although they brought in random spurts of cash, they both were unreliable. They were basically the entire metaphor for 2020.

This year will be different in which I am determined to make myself feel stable and secure. I am moving into my first college house and it’s going to be my first time living off-campus. I am motivated to make this place my home and I want to buy plants to decorate, make tables to paint and have mirrors to take selfies in.

paintbrushes in pots on a table
Photo by Sema Martin from Unsplash

So, in a way, I am my own summer plan. It’s my combination of growing up and into myself that I want to achieve (the opening of Ohio and the increased amount of COVID vaccines doesn’t hurt either). Even though I will be working most of the time, I think that this summer has the most potential and excitement. I will be at a new job, a new location, and maybe I’ll have a couple of new shoes in the mix. This summer is going to be awesome.

Lily Biros is the Vice President Co-Campus Correspondent at Ohio University. She is a senior student majoring in Strategic Communication at E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. She enjoys writing, eating, and rollerblading and is the Vice President for the Asian American Pacific Islander Student Union (AAPI).
Ohio University Contributor Account