Career

6 Things To Look For In A Job/Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, the search for jobs and internships is on. Whether you’re looking for an internship over the summer or a job for after graduation, here are six things to look for in a future job/internship:

Responsibilities/Expectations

One of the most important things to look for in a job is the responsibilities and expectations to make sure that you would be a good fit for the position. You also want to make sure that it isn’t too little or too advanced for your level of work, whether an internship or entry-level position.

Location

Thinking about the location of your job/internship can be a huge make or break aspect. Figuring out where you’re going to be living and working is important when planning. Things to look into before moving to a new city for a job/internship are the apartments/living situations, laundry, restaurants, and grocery stores.

Your line of supervision

Learning what your line of supervision is when you start working will be extremely important. It’s also a good idea to do your research on who you’ll be working with, what department, and who your boss will be.

Work Culture

A great way to find what work culture you fit best in is through internships. After your internship experience, you’ll have a better idea if a cubicle or open office style will work for you. Make sure you also ask about the organization’s goals, diversity and inclusion at the company, professional and staff development tools that the company utilizes.

Salary/Stipend

Something important to look at when searching for jobs and internships is the compensation you’ll be receiving. While a job salary can be negotiable when offered a position, and internship stipend or compensation is typically a set standard for the company. This is important to look at especially for internships if you will need to relocate for the position.

Reviews Online

Lastly, it’s important to look at the reviews of the company from past employees and interns. A great place to look for companies is glassdoor.com, and for internship reviews, handshake.com.

A senior at Ohio University, Hannah Moskowitz is majoring in the news and information journalism track at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. During her time there, she is president, campus correspondent and writes for Her Campus. In her free time, she writes for her personal blog: www.hannahmeetsworld.com. When she's not writing, she loves to paint, hammock with friends and take care of her plants.