Career

5 Tips For Creating A Cover Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Job and internship season is coming up and that means many of us will be editing our resumes and cover letters. The cover letter is a vital part of applying for a job as it’s an introduction to who you are. Your cover letter can vary depending on the type of position you are applying for. Here are some helpful tips to make sure your cover letter is polished and ready to go! 

Keep It Short

Cover letters are supposed to be an introduction of yourself and contain the most important information. All the information you write matters, so make sure it’s relevant to the position. A cover letter is typically around 3 to 4 paragraphs, so make sure to stick to that format. 

Don’t Make It Like Your Resume

You don’t want a cover letter to be a repeat of what your resume is. Make it more personable, talk about specific skills/experiences you have and tailor it to the position you’re applying for. It’s more detailed so you can show how you would be an asset to the company.

Make sure you know who you’re addressing it to

When you write out a cover letter, make sure you’re addressing it to the hiring manager. Seek out their name whether it’s on a website or by calling. If you cannot find the name, then make the letter out to the specific department or company that is hiring you. 

Make the opening line memorable

Start with talking about the position that you plan on applying for. Mention it and bring attention to why you feel qualified. You want to impress whoever is reading the cover letter. There are plenty of others applying for this position, make yours something that will stand out. 

End the cover letter with a thank you

Always make sure you thank the person who is reading the cover letter for their time. Show that you appreciate their interest in you. Make sure you also show that you would love to meet with them and learn more about the company. Don’t sound like you’re begging for an interview, show that you want to be there and have that position. Your employer will see you as someone who is really motivated for the position. 

Amy is currently a junior at Ohio University. She is majoring in journalism strat comm and is the PR Chief for Thread Magazine, Instagram manager for HerCampus and work for 1804Communication. In her free time she loves to explore new places with her friends, spend time with her boyfriend and go to concerts and museums.