5 Things I Wish I Knew Before My First Week At Ohio University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

As a freshman, there is still a lot I’m unsure of, but the weeks keep flying by. As each day passes, these are the things I wish I had known for my first week of living on campus. 

It’s okay to ask for help

There is so much to learn when you’re a freshman. Where buildings are, how long the dining halls are open, what college professors are like, and how the heck the printers work. I’m a shy person, and I don’t really like asking for help, but my first week on campus I needed it a lot. Everyone is so friendly and very much willing to help out if you just ask. I didn’t believe the administrators and everyone who said Bobcats help Bobcats, but it’s very much true.

Glidden Hall is a life saver

For those of you that have to walk up Jefferson Hill and feel like death after, there is a great alternative. At the bottom of Jeff Hill to the right is Glidden Hall, more commonly known as the music school, which has an elevator that will take you to the top of Jeff hill. No more being out of breath and sweaty as you hike up the hill.

Alden Library is an amazing resource

Alden is one of my favorite places to study on campus. The atmosphere is amazing. Each floor has a quiet level. For example, the very top floor is completely silent. Personally, the third floor is my favorite. I like to go in between my classes because it’s a great way to get work done so you don’t have to worry about doing it later. The noise level is pretty decent, with mostly just quiet chatter. Just put in some head phones and work to your heart’s content. 

It’s okay to eat alone

My first week of school, I only ate about once a day. That’s super unhealthy for you, and I did it all because I didn’t want to eat alone. There are two tips to make you feel more comfortable. The first thing you can do is buy one of the reusable to-go containers. You can swipe your card and fill it up before heading back to your room to eat while you study or watch Netflix. The second tip is to bring work while you eat. This keeps you busy and keeps your mind preoccupied while you eat. Plus, you’re getting your work done ahead of time.

Talk to your roommate

If you’re an only child like me, you probably are not used to sharing a space with someone. It is a big adjustment as well as a learning process. You need to speak your mind. If something is bothering you, or upsetting you, speak up about it. It’s okay as long as you do it politely. You deserve to be comfortable with your roommate and in your room.

Kylee Baranek is a freshman studying on the News and Information track at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. She loves any form of writing, and loves to read. When she is not found with a book in hand, she can be found watching Netflix or spending time with her friends.