5 Life Lessons I Learned from My First Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Let me start by saying that I am truly grateful for the opportunity to attend college at Ohio University. Comparing myself to who I was at the start of my Freshman year and my current self, I believe I have experienced events, good and bad, that have helped my grow, which has caused me to become a stronger, more independent women. Being four hours from home, with no car, and surrounded by unfamiliar places in a whole new environment has been life changing. I have learned so much about myself and others. Here are some life lessons personally from my first year of college:

1. Respecting Diversity

Coming from a Catholic school in North West Ohio, I wouldn’t say that I have experienced a wide range of people. In college, an immense students come together from numerous races, religions, sexualities, and backgrounds. I found that it is best to appreciate this aspect of college. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion and you learn to be more open-minded and less judgmental.

2. Healthy Lifestyle

No, I’m not just talking about trying to avoid the freshman 15! Leading a healthy life style at the start of college wasn’t my first priority. College was different than high school in the sense that I wasn’t in seasonal sports or had meals cooked by my parents. When I started exercising daily in my second semester, I began to figure out that my attitude and mood were amazingly positive. Along with eating healthy, doing yoga, and participating in other things to make myself happy like reading or writing, I was saving myself from being overly stressed and tense. My favorite of many ways to stay healthy is running on the bike bath just in time to watch the sun set over the hocking river, then racing back home before I got dark. It was my “me time” for the day and 30 minutes to reflect on my day while appreciating nature.  

3. Immaturity is never going away

I assumed that immaturity would be left in high school, but you know what happens when you assume! (if you don’t google it) Just because I had matured, doesn’t mean that everyone around be had as well. I have been waiting for people to grow up and it seems that unfortunately some people are unable to do so.

4. Motivation comes from yourself

Some classes do not take attendance and rather give you every scheduled assignment at the beginning of the semester. Forcing myself to wake up for these type of courses is extremely difficult. In college, motivation comes only from yourself. By finding my favorite study spaces, I created a routine and could easily stay focused. Below is my favorite spot when it’s warm, located behind Scripps’s Hall. 

5. Getting sick

For a while, I was one of the lucky ones who wasn’t getting sick. Sadly, that didn’t last. You won’t have your parents to buy you medicine or all of your favorite sickly remedies. Also, not having a car and walking to the doctor for an appointment, sitting the waiting room for an hour, and then walking to get your prescriptions all by yourself isn’t really too fun. For me, the cherry on top was the doctor forgetting to send my prescriptions to CVS, not once but twice! I know now that being prepared with basic medicines, cough drops, and even a first aid kit is an excellent idea.

Enhancing my freshman year experience has come from a series of lessons. Everyone’s experience will be different, but respecting others and being mentally prepared are two lessons I’m sure several people can relate to. Being on your own for the first time is not easy, but I am extremely proud of myself for surviving my first years with only a few bruises!

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano