4 Ways To Avoid Drinking At Halloween Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

When it comes to Halloween parties two things are always presents — someone dressed as a character from Harry Potter and booze. Maybe it’s the festive atmosphere, maybe it’s the discounted rates at bars or maybe it’s the peer pressure, but many people often end up drinking a lot of alcohol at Halloween parties. While it’s okay to let yourself go once in a while, it’s also okay if you don’t want to get wasted. So, this year if you’ve made the decision that you don’t want to drink at a Halloween party, here are a few other things you can do to keep yourself occupied and entertained. Fair warning, you will have to be the designated driver.

1. Drink…tea

You might think that it’s embarrassing to stand there with your mug of warm, green tea while everyone else is chugging beer — but it’s only awkward in your head. Drinking tea is certainly a healthier alternative to swapping your alcohol for soda. Try the usual green tea or black tea blends or add a hint of honey and a slice of lemon for some flavor. You can also try unique kinds of tea like matcha or oolong for added excitement. Are you sniffling because of the cold weather? Try some herbal tea for relief! 

2. Go for flavored water

If you want to drink something that is on the healthier side but still want a fizzy kick in your drink, try flavored water. Most of them have zero calories so you don’t have to worry too much. You can also add flavored water to your fruit juices to make them more exciting. Flavored water is certainly healthier than regular soda but it also offers the same delicious flavors and feel, so you’re not compromising too much.

3. Have sparkling cider

There are a few ways that you can get really, really close to drinking alcohol but still not drinking it. For instance, sparkling cider comes in fancy, glass bottles (admit it, it’s part of the appeal), has a fizzy taste and is packed with the goodness of apples. Craving some wine? Try apple cider with the added flavor of grapes. It’s a bold red drink with a strong aftertaste.

4. Make a smoothie

If you are going to a house party, it’s fairly easy to make yourself (and others) some smoothies. Just add your milk of choice, a banana, any frozen fruits you like and some honey to a blender. For added protein, you can also drop a tablespoon of peanut butter, if you want it to be extra healthy don’t shy away from the protein powder either. A smoothie will fill you up enough so that you won’t eat too much of the greasy party snacks either. 

Purva was born and brought up in Mumbai, India and is now a graduate journalism student at Ohio University. She is interested in women's magazines and issues of diversity in the media.