Career

3 Tips For A Successful Cover Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Much like resumes, as I mentioned in my last article, “4 Tips For A Successful Resume”, cover letters are integral to the application process, whether you are applying for an internship or a full-time job. While it may seem simple and informal, a cover letter can actually be one of the most important pieces of the application, because it is the most personalized, and the first thing that a potential employer will see about you. So, here are just a few of my tips on how to make your cover letter successful!

Write a custom letter for each job

It’s fine to recycle old cover letters with a general theme, but be sure to edit it specifically for each new application. Things change over time and you don’t want to have old information in your cover letter. It’s good to include any information about yourself that is relevant to the job. Cover letters typically want to reflect you as a person, why you think you’re qualified for the job and what you would bring to the table. 

Try to find a contact person

Address the letter to a specific person! Try to find information on who this may be – it never hurts to send emails out to ask questions. It’s best to opt out from saying, “To whom this may concern,” and better to say, “Dear –.” It shows you’ve done your research on the company and care about the person reading the letter. 

Show your personality

This is possibly the most important part of this list. Cover letters typically should not be cut-and-dry! They are a chance for you to show your personality beyond the limits of a resume. If you have a fun story about why you chose the job or your background, tell it! Within professional limits, of course. 

I hope these cover letter tips, and my resume tips from my previous article, were helpful in your internship search!

Anna Birk

Ohio U '23

Anna Birk is a third year journalism news and information student at the E.W Scripps School of Journalism. Anna is a Promise Scholar, writer for HerCampus OU and Copy Editor for VARIANT Magazine. In her personal life, she is an avid lover of coffee, sustainable fashion and music. She loves learning new styling tips to help the environment and economy. Check out her Pinterest or Instagram (@annaebirk) or personal twitter account - @theannabirk!
Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!