3 Christmas Gift Ideas for Crafty People

I am one of those people who will blast "All I Want For Christmas Is You", by Mariah Carey, as soon as the clock strikes midnight on November 1. It drives my family up a wall; my dad is a self-proclaimed, “Grinch,” and my mom deeply enjoys Thanksgiving. If I had it my way, I’d have the Christmas tree up moments after Halloween has ended. 

If you find yourself resonating with any of the above statements, or if you simply want an early start on Christmas gifts this year, you’ve come to the right place. Not only do I take joy in celebrating Christmas early, but I also enjoy hand-making gifts and since money has been tight for many people this year, crafting might be the perfect stress relief. 

The only money included in the following will be the money spent to buy supplies. Yes, this can add up, but if you budget correctly and make good use of the materials, several gifts could come out of one craft-store visit.

1. 1. For the very crafty: Custom Phone Cases

top-down view of mobile phones on blue desk

Supplies: acrylic paint, paintbrushes, clear phone cases

Optional Supplies: bendable wire, E6000, resin

Process: It’s often to approach this by using a stencil method. Draw your desired outline on a sheet of paper and then put it on the inside of the phone case so you can stencil right over it, onto the outside of the phone case. Simply paint on whatever design you want! Easy gifting. If you want to get more creative, take the wire and glue it to the case in your desired design, using the E6000. This provides a neat 3-D effect. Then fill in the empty spaces, much like you would with stained glass. Who knows, if you become confident enough in this, you could start a business!

2. 2. For the long-term: Knit Blankets

Supplies: multiple rolls of thick yarn

Process: If you google, “knit blanket DIY,” many great videos will come up. This gift is definitely a longer project, as it can take hours to complete, but that shouldn’t discourage you. Once you get the hang of knitting the blankets, many can be made and gifted to people. The perfect gift for cozying up by the fire. 

3. 3. For the quick-and-easy: lip scrub

Bottom half of black african woman's lips with pink lipstick

Supplies: coconut oil, sugar, honey 

Process: combine the ingredients. It’s as easy as that. Store in jars and wrap with a bow to give to people for the holidays. Perfect for those cold weather days when your lips just can’t seem to stay hydrated.