jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What It’s Really Like to Live Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

For most of your life, you will live with someone else, whether that be your family, roommates, friends or husband/wife/kids. If you are so lucky, you may find yourself living alone.  However, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be, especially if you enjoy the company of others (which most people do).

Source: Giphy

You always have too much food.

I find that I will cook a ton of food and then gnaw at it for a week. I’m always trying to give away food to my friends before it goes bad, or only buying food when I absolutely need it. When your parents tell you that your freezer is your best friend, they are not lying one bit. I thought that I would eat a few packages of meat in one week and I only cooked two. The dishes I made are still sitting in my fridge.

Source: Giphy

The cleaning is easier, but you have to do it all yourself.

Those dishes don’t get washed unless you do them. The floor will stay dirty until you sweep it. On the plus side, you only have to run the dishwasher and laundry once a week. I used to live with my big family and we had to do a full dishwasher load of dishes every day, and sometimes two or three times a day. I don’t miss that one bit.

Source: Giphy

You find yourself inviting your friends over at any chance.

It tends to get a little lonely if you come home to no one. So you tend to fill your time by either being out in public, inviting friends over, or going to your friends’ houses. Or going back to your parent’s house.  Maybe that’s why so many single people like to go out to the club at night…

Source: Giphy

Pants are an option at all times.

Since no one can walk in on you, as long as the windows are shut, nobody is going to see what you look like. Flaunt those undies, girl.

Source: Giphy

You can make every space yours.

The living room, kitchen, and dining room are your new canvases, ready to be decorated however you like. As an artist myself, I was ecstatic to turn my apartment into my own space. Command hooks are also your best friend if you can’t poke the walls.

If you have the chance to live alone, do it! It’s a great experience and it teaches you budget and portion control. You also gain a lot of initiative for cleaning and such. Happy living!

My name is Danielle (Danni for short), and I am a transfer student here at ODU! Before I came here I wrote for Her Campus at CNU, and I was studying Computer Engineering of all things! I'm majoring in Graphic Design now, and minoring in Spanish. I also work as a delivery driver at Domino's. Besides writing I also enjoy photography, cooking, and dyeing my hair dark red!