An ODU Artist Takes Us on a Trip to Mars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Have you ever been to Mars? I bet I can guess your answer, you haven’t. I’ve never been either, but I had the chance to sit down with the female version of the planet and she’s just as fascinating.

Jasmyne, or Mars (Twitter-@artbyjasmyne, Instagram-@hiiipowermars), is a Graphic Design and Fine Arts major and is also minoring in psychology. Aside from being a student, she is on the way to becoming one of the next great painters. After selling one of her paintings for over $300, HC ODU had to take the opportunity to sit down with this rising artist. 

(Mars with one of her recent paintings)

HC: How long have you been painting?

Mars: I’ve been a creative all my life. As a kid, I always had a sketchbook and I wanted to be a fashion designer. I always expressed myself through fashion, but it wasn’t until I graduated high school that I really started creating art.

Mars said she woke up the day after her high school graduation with the urge to create. She remembers drawing a tiger and still has the very sketchbook she drew it in. From that day on, she says the universe started sending her signs to pursue art. So, despite her parent’s resistance, she changed her major to follow her dreams.

HC: What do you do when you’re stuck in a creative block?

Mars: I read a lot, watch YouTube videos or change my environment to find new inspiration. I try to embrace the moment and tell myself, I’m in this artist block because I’ve gotten too comfortable.

HC: Who are some artist you look up to?

Mars: Yayoi Kusama. Her art is AMAAAAZING!

(Infinity Mirrors by Yayoi Kusama)

HC: What’s your favorite piece of work, by yourself and by someone else?

Mars: Infinity Mirrors by Yayoi Kusama is my favorite because it’s like stepping out of this reality and going into a different dimension. It’s like experiencing something she went through. My favorite piece of my own doesn’t have a title but it’s a self-portrait I did for my art therapy class. It’s a very emotional piece for me because it shows how connected I am with the universe and who I aspire to be.

(Mars with her favorite self-portrait)

HC: How did it feel to sell your first major painting for a large amount?

Mars: It was honestly weird at first. He DM’d me and asked how much all the paintings were and I know I’m not a huge artist yet, so I said $350 because I didn’t want to ask for too much. I was thinking that I’m a baby in the art game so I’m going to appreciate my first big sale. Then, once I posted my sale on Twitter the responses I got made me realize that my art is pretty popping and I shouldn’t devalue myself. So, I had to tell him that I couldn’t sell them all for $350 and he was really understanding, and we agreed on a higher price.

HC: Where do you hope your art takes you?

Mars: I’d really like to do art therapy, open my own gallery and be a teacher or motivational speaker for young people. I want to help them create and stay on the right track. But my main goal is to continue to inspire and heal people with my art. I want to do that while giving back to the community in any way I can.

Although she still considers herself a baby in the art world, Mars is already creating pieces that are timeless. You can study any one of her paintings over and over and you’ll find something new each time. The things she creates will captivate you as if you’ve taken a trip to Mars, which is why her name fits her art perfectly. 

(Mars working on a painting)

Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!