This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

B Lovee is a sophomore at John Tyler Community College. He takes online classes at ODU and will officially transfer next semester. He wants to double major in Journalism and

Psychology and currently works as a foreman for Slurry Pavers.  

HC: What made you want to do Spoken Words?

BL: Well I’ve been a poet since I was a young, but my inspiration that caused me to transition into the Spoken Word field most definitely came from my older cousin, Glo Shines, who is truly a lyrical genius. She actually host an open mic night in Norfolk called Verses and Vibes. She’s an amazing soul.

HC: What do you want people to get out of your poems?

BL: At the end of the day, if people miss everything I say in my poem, I hope they remember my name, because my name is truly my message. B Lovee. You take the last “e” , add it to the middle of those two words, and you have, “Be Love”. Love is the essence of our souls. Love is who we are. We change our minds, we change the world. Once we become love, we let that light shine through us, making it contagious for all of mankind. So all in all, love yourself, everything about you, your strengths and weaknesses, and this would will be alright. In order to love yourself, you must know who you are and where you came from. That is true self love.

HC: What does “being creative” mean to you?

BL: Being creative is self-expression. Being creative is letting the love shine through you in an artistic way. In my piece titled, “My Mamma Told Me”, I state, “…Oh how I am fascinated with the art of imagination. The beauty I see when procrastination is never a part of my mass creations…” So being creative is letting your passions leak from your land of imagination. Letting that love spill from your heart.

HC: Can you describe the time when you first realized that creating was something you absolutely had to do?

“My people are destroyed by a lack of knowledge.” I realized creation was my purpose in life when I realized how much I’ve let this world and society blind me into being and believing someone I’m not. Then I knew I wasn’t alone. I knew my generation was being blinded as well. False ideas of success, love, beauty, fashion, prosperity, relationships, and more being twisted by propaganda and false narratives. The second I woke up, I knew I had to spark change.

HC: What are you trying to communicate with your art?

BL: My hope for my art is to inspire people to walk in light and love. Walk amongst this earth as the kings and queens we are. My job is to raise up leaders in my youth, because we truly are the future. We will determine the type of life our children and our children’s children have. Change starts with us. Again I say, we change our minds, we change the word.

HC: What’s the best advice you ever had about how to be more creative?

HC: The best advice I’ve ever received was from a peer of mine in high school. He told me, “Imagine your art or your style as being one color of the rainbow. Well remember, you still have the rest of the rainbow to choose from, so use it. Incorporate any and every color of the rainbow you choose to paint your picture, that’s how you’ll reach more than one audience.”

HC: Which creative medium would you love to pursue but haven’t yet? Why?

BL: I’m addicted to art, so it’s hard to say what I haven’t tried. Everything from poems, painting, sculpting, drawing, photography, videography. Even when I was 7 years old, I tried dabbling in music under the name “Lil B”, but I guess one thing that I’ve wanted to pursue more is learning an instrument or five. Starting with the piano.

HC: What’s your favorite thing you’ve ever created?

My favorite creation has always been inspiration. When I created inspiration for people, I’m overwhelmed with joy. When I create, or spark a light in someone, I truly feel accomplished. I am a creator of positive vibes and energies. I am love. So I guess my favorite thing that I’ve created was the love inside of me.

Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!