Greenhouse 2

Go Green, Live Sustainably

Sustainability has been a growing trend as the concern for our planet increases. With a multitude of ways to care for the planet and save money simultaneously there is no reason to not convert to more sustainable living. Changing your lifestyle can go a long way towards caring for the environment and wildlife Below are  several products and tips to help you on your journey to go green and understand why these changes are important.

Products to Help You Go Green: 

1. Reusable grocery bags

Converting to using reusable bags eliminates plastic waste immensely as it is estimated that 500 billion to 1 trillion bags are used around the world in a year. This impacts wildlife negatively because animals that are aquatic or terrestrial can either eat the bags or get caught in them and suffer serious illnesses or death. 

 

2. Toothbrush with A Detachable Head

Boie’s toothbrushes are a more sustainable toothbrush because they prevent plastic waste with a detachable and replaceable head, so you do not have to buy new toothbrushes.. They are made out of a rubber material that cleans your teeth effectively and is built to last even longer than regular toothbrushes. 

 

3. Eco-Friendly Phone Cases

Phone cases and accessories produce a substantial amount of  plastic waste. Eco-friendly phone cases however, are made of compostable bioplastic that is compatible with Android and iPhone. 

 

4. Who Gives A Crap Recycled Toilet Paper 

Who Gives A Crap toilet paper is 100 percent made out of sustainable materials such as sugarcane, recycled fibers or bamboo. This saves trees, water and reduces carbon emissions. Additionally, 50 percent of their profits are donated to WaterAid which is a company that builds toilets for people in need. 

 

5. Pens Made from Recycled Water Bottles

One of the top pollutants in the world is plastic water bottles. Pilot creates pens that take plastic water bottles from landfills and turns them into something more sustainable. These pens are also refillable and retractable increasing their sustainability potential. 

 

Tips on How to Live More Sustainably: 

1. Hang-Dry Your Clothes 

Dryers use an excessive amount of energy while sunlight generates zero-emissions, which lessens greenhouse gases that contribute to global warming. If this option does not suit you and you have to use a dryer, make sure it’s filled up completely with clothing and try to do laundry less often. 

 

2. Wash Clothes in Cold Water.

90 percent of electricity to wash clothes comes from having to heat the water while the remaining 10 percent comes from the electricity needed to run the washing machine.  If you are concerned about germs not being killed on your clothing by the cold water, do not worry because cold water can remove many stains such as coffee or grass stains showing that your clothing is being adequately cleaned. To add on, cold water is actually highly recommended for delicate clothing too such as satin and lace. 

 

3. Change Light Bulbs to CFLs or LEDs.

Incandescent light bulbs are the industry standard and the most commonly used in households. The issues with this type of lightbulb include low efficiency, they have a short lifespan, and emit large amounts of carbon emissions. On the other hand, CFLS and LEDS produce 85 percent less energy. They last 25 times longer and are cheaper too.

 

4. Rethink Your Plastic Use 

When you buy single-use plates, forks or razors, for example, you create mass amounts of waste that does not corrode. When purchasing these items, attempt to buy reusable products or consider the life expectancy of the item. 

 

5. Use Eco-Friendly Transportation

Driving releases astronomical amounts of emissions and pollution which has a huge impact on global warming. Along with this, driving also contributes to poor air quality which can cause health issues. Instead of driving, attempt to walk or ride a bike to your destination when possible. Using mass transit options, such as the bus system, metro, or light train system is also more sustainable than single person vehicles.

 

When trying to live a more sustainable life, it can be hard to decide where to start. It is always good to start with small changes. These small changes may feel meaningless however, not only does every little change make a difference but it will make larger changes easier.   The more ways you find to be eco-friendly, the more you reduce your carbon footprint, and in turn save the planet.