This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Friday, I had the honor of going to see the Black Panther film and it is safe to say that my whole life has changed for the better. I’ve been excited for the release since the end of last year when the news first broke. I’ve always been a Marvel fan, but this movie caused a different kind of excitement. Black Panther wasn’t just a movie, it was a movement. It had an all Black cast full of amazing talent such as Angela Bassett, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Chadwick Boseman and so many more. Everything came so naturally as if everyone playing a part was born to play their roles. The cast did more than fulfill, they went above and beyond my expectations.

Source: giphy.com

I was expecting the film to be good, but even that underestimated it. I cannot think of a single thing wrong with this film and I wouldn’t want to either. The film was for the culture and the outpour of love it received was well deserved. For those who are complaining about the lack of diversity throughout the film, go cry somewhere else. Did black people cry when there wasn’t a single black person in Marvel movies for years? Nope, we waited our turn as we so gracefully do in a lot of things. I think that the backlash is less about the “diversity” and more about the fact that every aspect of this project was perfect.

Many people are missing the point of why this film was very much necessary for the culture. If you missed the point, wipe your eyes clear and brace yourself for what I am about to say. Black Panther is for the little black girls and boys who have always looked up to Spider-Man and Iron Man, but couldn’t truly relate because the heroes never looked like them. They now have a prime example of how black excellence can be expanded onto anything we touch when we want to. For the naysayers, calm down and go see the movie like you know you want to. Realize that pro-black does not mean anti-white and give us the courtesy that we give you all.

Source: giphy.com

Get out of your feelings and into your humility. The movie was so well done that I would pay to go see it seven more times and then some if I could. Nothing will ever be able to touch the warm feeling I received when I saw so many beautiful people dressed up for the occasion of this movie. There were so many little black girls and boys excited and smiling from ear to ear it made me even happier. I almost shed a tear y’all! If they didn’t take anything else from the film, I hope that they now know that they can do anything they put their mind to without limitations.

Oh and just a little advice to those planning to go to see the film, you are to NEVER leave a Marvel film before the rolling credits finish. There’s always a little treat or piece to the next puzzle awaiting after that. Enjoy!