Bizarre Individuals I Have Encountered On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

College campuses are pretty strange places. I think it’s probably a given that any time

you stick a bunch of hormonal twenty-somethings in a semi-enclosed location with little to no contact with the outside world, weird things are going to happen. That said, there are always going to be a few oddballs who stand out among the rest. Here are a few I’ve encountered while people-watching on campus.

1. The Green Puppy

Photo by Paula Phounsavath

Apparently this little guy has become somewhat of a staple at ODU. I’ve seen him roaming around the streets near my apartment building and held in his owner’s arms at more than one on-campus event. Many of my friends have had similar encounters, but no one seems to have a straight answer to the ever-important question… why on earth is he green?

2. This Dude Holding – But Not Using – A Single Crutch

I have some questions for this guy, too. Though he carried a crutch and wore only one shoe, he did not appear (from across the mall, I’ll admit) to be injured in any discernible way. I even watched curiously as he climbed stairs and traipsed over the uneven grass of Kaufman Mall, and he seemed to be entirely okay. Not sure what’s going on there, but I hope he feels better.

3. Someone Napping On The Floor of Webb at 2 PM on a Thursday

I didn’t photograph this girl because she clearly really needed the nap, but I feel like anyone resorting to openly sleeping in Webb Center in the middle of a Thursday (and not even on a couch, just curled up on the floor) is probably pretty desperate. I’m glad she got her beauty sleep, though.

4. A Man, Clad Entirely In Blue, Carrying Two Dozen Cupcakes

Not sure where the party this guy was headed to was, but I’d like to be invited to the next one. His blue hair really completed the blue jacket & blue jeans look, and if you look super closely, even the cupcakes had blue frosting.

5. A Guy With A Pipe On Kaufman Mall

I see this guy pretty regularly but have yet to successfully capture a photo of the elusive Pipe Man. Luckily, he’s pretty easy to describe: he is simply a man who sits on Kaufman Mall on a daily basis and smokes a rather ornate pipe. It’s a sight to see.

6. Barefoot Library Studiers

This is actually somewhat of a phenomenon in that I witness it rather regularly, but I’ve never had the guts to outwardly photograph someone in the silent library. Now listen, I know studying is intense and shoes are uncomfortable, and I’ve probably kicked off my rainboots in Perry, too, but not without socks on. It’s the completely barefoot, probably stinking up anyone in a ten-foot radius, studiers that really get me. Like, if you know you’re gonna take your shoes off in public, maybe wear socks?

7. This Lady With Lime Green Hair Playing The Oboe

Photo by Kieran Rundle

Honestly, I’d love to be this woman’s friend. She just seems like a great time. I have no idea how (or why) precisely one obtains such a lemon-lime shade of hair dye, but I honestly think it works for her. I’ve seen her a few times now, and she’s always just chilling outside in the sunshine, playing some oboe music. With very green hair. I admire the cool confidence.

Hey! I'm Lily O'Hara, a sophomore at ODU. I'm currently majoring in psychology with a minor in dance. Most of my days are spent dancing, reading, watching True Crime documentaries, and snuggling with my puppy.