The Best Food Items to Keep in Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Every student in college has to face the problems of not relying on parents to provide food. Living in the dorms can be especially challenging because you don’t have so many options for food as you would living off campus. There will not always be time to make it to the dining hall for meals three times a day. There will also be times when late night hunger hits and nothing will be open at that hour. This means that it is a great idea to keep certain food stocked in your dorm room at all times!

1. Cup of Noodles

Source: Giphy

Especially if you were blessed with a Keurig, the Cup of Noodles is a quick and tasty treat that can be spiced up with some hot sauce or soy sauce packs from Panda Express. It’s portable and easy to carry to your walk to class. It also doubles as a hand warmer in the winter months.

2. Granola Bars

Source: Giphy

A must-have for an 8 a.m. class because let’s be honest, how often are you going to make it to the dining hall so early? There are easy to grab on the go and can be carried in your backpack. You can get the multipacks to switch it up and not have to eat the same flavor every day.

3. Microwave Popcorn

Source: Giphy

Whether it’s movie night or a study snack, popcorn is delicious and fun to eat. If you don’t have a microwave, you can easily warm it up in the microwaves provided in the common room of the dorms.

4. Lunch Meat

Source: Giphy

If you have a mini fridge, you can keep it in there along with your bread. You can even eat it with only cheese or by itself if you are running low on supplies. Ever heard of fried bologna? You will now.

5. Easy Mac Cups

Source: Giphy

Again, you can microwave this handy cup of food in the common room of the dorm hall. Taste great and can be eaten at any time of the day. When you are done, you can wash the bowl and save it to use as microwave safe Tupperware later.

6. Tuna

Source: Giphy

Your roommate might hate you for the smell, but it will save you a trip to the Pod. Is a great source of protein and has Omega3. You can eat it with mayonnaise or with olive oil and with crackers or toast. It is a very versatile food item to have.

7. Chips

Source: Giphy

They are always a great, quick snack and are always yummy. There are so many different kinds to choose from and they can satisfy your craving anytime you get the munchies. Keep a few bags of these in your dorm and you will never be unhappy.

Hello! My name is Maggie and I am currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in journalism and a minor in communication at ODU. I write about my interests of beauty, music, fashion, and life advice. My uncle once said, "It's not illegal until you get caught," and I think those are words to live by. Follow me on Instagram @gisforglitter