5 Smoothies You Need To Try This Summer!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Spring and Summer are my favorite seasons for one reason…SMOOTHIES! Smoothies are one of my favorite things in the world. It’s so cool how creative and innovative you can be regarding ingredients. I will be the first to admit that I may not get my daily recommended dosage of fruits and vegetables, so it’s easier for me to get them in the form of a fresh drink. When I started drinking smoothies on the regular, I noticed an improvement in my digestive tract, I was sleeping better at night, they reduced my cravings for other sweets, and helped me want to eat better all together. Here’s some of my favorite go-to smoothies. Feel free to add your own favorite fruits, veggies, or other ingredients! 

The Perfect Green Smoothie

Source: Pixabay

I like to buy everything fresh in this recipe except for the mangos, I buy those frozen since I don’t usually use as many of them. You can be super creative with this one, the important part is that you add green fruits/veggies.

• 1 Whole Banana
  • Handful of Kale
  • Handful of Spinach
  • 1 Cup of Pineapples
  • 1/2 Cup of Mangos
  • Spoonful of Sugar

Classic Strawberry-Banana

Sourve: PhotoPin

This is one of the first smoothies I learned how to make and also a favorite! I usually buy the strawberries frozen and use the Yoplait brand of yogurt but you can use whatever you choose.

• 1 Whole Banana
  • 1 1/2 Cups of Strawberries
  • 1 Cup of Strawberry-Banana Yogurt
  • 1/2 Cup of Ice

Kiwi-Strawberry

Source: Pixabay

I actually got this recipe from the Food Network website a few months ago and LOVE IT! You can add sugar to this if desired, I personally don’t.

• 1 Cup of Strawberries
  • 2 Peeled Kiwis
  • 2 Cups of Ice
  • 1 Cup of Vanilla Yogurt

Watermelon

Source: Pixabay

This is a smoothie I strictly save for the Summer months. Watermelon is my favorite fruit so I like to add just that, but feel free to add any other fruits to this juicy smoothie.

• 3 Cups of Frozen Watermelon
  • 1 Cup of Fresh Watermelon
  • Juice of 1 Lime
  • 1/4 Cup of Sugar
  • 1 Cup of Water

Orange-Pineapple

Source: Pixabay

If I’m craving a smoothie in the morning when I wake up (which I usually am) or after a morning run (which I don’t usually do) this is my go-to. It’s super easy and there’s no need to add any other liquids since the fruits are so juicy and sweet!

• 2 Oranges
  • 2 Cups of Pineapple
  • 2 Cups of Ice

Another thing you can do is “meal prep” your smoothies! I’ll throw all the ingredients in a bag and put it in the freezer, then when I’m ready, I take them out and put them in the blender. This makes it much faster and easier when you’re on the go!