nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Consider Studying Abroad in Washington D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Our nation’s business center lies in New York City and its political hub in Washington, D.C. With the expansion to include D.C. as one of its study away sites, NYU has built a bridge between our country’s two most vital metropolises.

As a freshman currently studying in D.C., I can say – without hesitation – that this fall has been, by far, one of my most rewarding experiences. Here are five main factors that I would attribute to this remarkable semester in D.C.:

1. Work Experience

The city is bursting with opportunities. From interning with renowned journalists to senators on the Hill, there are opportunities to intern in every sector imaginable – government, nonprofits, startups, media, embassies, museums, theaters, law, and so on. NYU D.C. offers resources to aid students with the internship hunt, so students will have help in every step of the process. Even if you don’t work an internship, you still have the chance to volunteer with nonprofits and NGOs, making the opportunities in D.C. seemingly boundless.

2. Free, Free, Free

If there’s one thing all college students love, it’s free stuff. In D.C., the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and all the Smithsonian museums are free of admission, and there are constantly free events taking place around the city, such as the annual High Heel Drag Queen Race or National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade. Affordability is a major concern, and NYU D.C. helps with the costs of city life through its excursion program. Through the program, students have the chance to earn points, which can then be redeemed for “excursions.” Past excursions have included kayaking on the Potomac River, a soccer match between D.C. United and Montreal Impact, and a J Cole concert.

3. Attractions

As the nation’s capital, Washington, D.C. is home to some of the most well-known monuments and memorials, many of which are located on the National Mall. Sites like the White House, U.S. Capitol building, or Library of Congress offer free tours inside, and museums like the International Spy Museum, Newseum, or National Museum of Women in the Arts venture from traditional museums, giving visitors a unique and distinct experience.

4. Politics

Twelve minutes. That’s how long it takes to walk from NYU D.C. to the White House. Students are living and studying just twelve minutes from where history is being made, and they have a chance to participate in it.

5. Small Community

With up to 119 students each semester, the NYU D.C. student body is small, so everyone knows everyone. This offers students plenty of leadership opportunities, through student council, clubs, and even on-site internships. Meanwhile, all of this is taking place in just one building! Dorms and classes are situated inside the Constance Milstein and Family Global Academic Center. Students can roll out of bed, and within seconds, be at their class.

Studying in Washington, D.C. is an experience that students won’t forget, so take the chance!

Image Sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Carol Wu is a freshman in the Liberal Studies Core Program, studying away in Washington, DC. When she's not busy Netflixing, she can be found at Starbucks, sipping on a sweet, sweet, icy Refresher. In the near future, she hopes to give in to her wanderlust cravings and make the world her home.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.