This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

“I don’t want anything that means I can’t have you.”

If you’re looking for the perfect enemies to lovers with lots of tension and the “oh no, there’s only one bed!” trope, then The Hating Game by Sally Thorne is the perfect read for you for some downtime on the weekend.

Ever since their two publishing companies merged, Lucy Hutton and Josh Templeman have absolutely despised each other. They sit in their glass offices as assistants to the co-CEOs. They pass the hours trying to one up each other with games, but when a new promotion is announced, everything changes. Now with the idea of being each other’s boss at stake, the games have become even more intense. But so has their relationship. Will they be able to fight off their mutual attraction or will the hating game continue forever?

This book is one of the best enemies to lovers I’ve read. It’s full of witty banter, the tension that goes on for pages, and laugh-out-loud moments. It’s impossible not to fall in love with these characters and immerse yourself in this world. Lucy is an adorable, quirky main character and Josh is tall, handsome, and overprotective– what more could you ask for in enemies to lovers?

This book has so many swoon-worthy moments, and Sally Thorne is not afraid to turn up the heat. This irresistible love story shows how opposites genuinely attract, and there is almost an invisible line between love and hate. 

Sally Thorne’s debut rom-com is perfect for this blooming spring weather. The love between these two characters takes a while to form, but it’s heartwarming when it does. You won’t be able to put this one down. 

The Hating Game is also being adapted for the screen starting Lucy Hale. If you end up reading this one, share your thoughts with me in the comments or on my bookstagram @/readinromance!

Katie is studying English with a concentration in Creative Writing at NYU. She hopes to publish her romance novel and become a literary agent, specializing in romance. She's a reader and writer, but most importantly--she's a Swiftie. Some of her favorite things are giant soft pretzels, Nora Ephron movies, and chocolate chip muffins. You can check out her bookstagram, @readinromance, for recommendations or to just rant about your favorite book.
Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief @ HerCampus NYU For comments, suggestions and queries, contact at zh1402@nyu.edu