Study Abroad Diaries: Time to say goodbye to my internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

What will I miss most about London? A tough question, considering I love almost everything about this city. Though my classes have been awesome for the most part this semester, my internship by far is definitely going to be missed more. I am working with an incredibly talented and friendly staff and getting to do so many amazing and exciting things around London. From photo shoots, private parties and events, to interviews with international chefs, I have gotten to see London through its foodie scene, which has given me a unique perspective on this wonderful city.

From the beginning of my internship in February, I was able to do some really cool things like attend chef interviews. One of my supervisors took me to her interview with a chef who cooked for David Beckham when he would visit his restaurant! In February, I also got to write my cookbook feature piece, which appeared in the spring edition of the magazine. As a result, Leon, the company whose cookbooks I wrote about, sent me copies of all their new cookbooks that will be released to the public in June.

March was filled with great writing and editing opportunities. I got to write charity and launching restaurant features for the Square Meal online website. One afternoon, the entire editorial staff took the other editorial intern and myself on a massive, three hour lunch at a nearby pan asian restaurant. Later on that week, I assisted an editor and writer in a bar photo shoot for a feature in the spring edition of the magazine. When I wasn’t attending events, I was in the office doing what I love–writing.

Ah, the grand month of April. This month started off with an opportunity to cruise around London in search of the best macaroni and cheese recipes, and ended with my coworkers and I belting our hearts out at a karaoke bar. In between, I got to attend an exclusive “hard hat” party to get a sneak peak at the new Aqua group restaurants launching this summer on the 31st, 32nd, and 33rd floors of the Shard. Not only did I get to enjoy beautifully crafted canapés and drinks while walking around in a construction hat and vest, but I got a glimpse at breathtaking views of the city from every angle. I never realized just how spread out and flat London is compared to New York.

The opportunities I had at Square Meal were priceless. The staff was incredible, helpful, and so much fun to work with. I would’ve never tried caviar or any other exotic foods without this experience.

I am definitely sad about leaving Square Meal. I go back to the States with published bylines and clips, great pictures, incredible memories, and stories I’ll never forget. Thanks Square Meal for everything this semester!
Kayla is an NYU senior majoring in journalism and history. She joined the Her Campus NYU (HCNYU) team in 2013 as a study abroad blogger and is now the site's Love and Relationships Editor. Along with being an editor for HCNYU, Kayla is a web editorial intern for Redbook magazine. She has contributed to and interned in the past with Cosmopolitan, Seventeen, Square Meal, Washington Square News, and Sumo Skinny. When Kayla isn't writing for HCNYU, she is working on her blog or drooling over her wall of Harry Styles pictures. Follow Kayla on Twitter: @ksk316 Read Kayla's blog: http://lovewriteeat.blogspot.com/
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.