Study Abroad Diaries: NYC & London – Two cities, Two Different Worlds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The famous British politician Winston Churchill once said, “England and the US are two nations divided by a common language.” While this is seemingly true, as the Brits call french fries “chips” and garbage “rubbish,” my personal experiences tell me divisions and differences extend much further than a couple of words and colloquial expressions. Many advised me not to compare the US and UK because it leads to unsolvable questions, arguments, and improvable theories. Personally, however, I can’t help but take mental note of the differences between New York and London-two of the most diverse cities in the world. 

Of course, these are solely my own perceptions and observations.

On a basic level, it is interesting to see how restaurant businesses that thrive in New York seem to struggle a bit in London and vice versa due to cultural preference. Starbucks, McDonald’s, and Chipotle, for example, (sadly) are not at all favorites among London locals. Pret A Manger is the business with a store on almost every block, making it the ultimate lunch spot of London.

The portions of food in New York and the US in general are enormously larger than those in the UK. I didn’t realize how much I was used to eating until I ate at an Indian restaurant in London one night and was still hungry after consuming my entire dish. My stomach is just now starting to get used to eating smaller portions throughout the day. 

Though I’ve only lived in London for three weeks, I am beginning to see behavioral differences between urban citizens in the US and UK. 

In New York, there are high rise buildings everywhere you look. Echoes of sirens and car horns are constantly bounced off of buildings. Stress seems to be paired with cigarette smoking. Going out means heels and red lipstick. People handing out flyers seem a bit sketchy. Throwing out half of a sandwich isn’t a big deal and Starbucks is a basic necessity for survival…even if it means waiting thirty minutes for a skinny vanilla latte.  

In London, there are few high rise buildings and most areas are residential. Occasional honking and sirens are heard, but the streets for the most part are fairly quiet. People smoke for social and entertainment purposes – not to deal with stress. Going out means throwing on a pair of jeans and boots and heading to a pub. People handing out flyers are the nicest and most resourceful people. Portions are significantly smaller to avoid wastefulness and offering a cup of tea and lemon to someone is an instant way to make friends.

My professors, coworkers, and bosses in London all share a similar mindset of being relaxed and easy going. Stress is not a daily practice in London. An American accent is a clear indication of being foreign, but showing signs of stress or impatience is equally obvious.

Keep calm and carry on. Living in London, that saying takes on a whole new meaning.

Kayla is an NYU senior majoring in journalism and history. She joined the Her Campus NYU (HCNYU) team in 2013 as a study abroad blogger and is now the site's Love and Relationships Editor. Along with being an editor for HCNYU, Kayla is a web editorial intern for Redbook magazine. She has contributed to and interned in the past with Cosmopolitan, Seventeen, Square Meal, Washington Square News, and Sumo Skinny. When Kayla isn't writing for HCNYU, she is working on her blog or drooling over her wall of Harry Styles pictures. Follow Kayla on Twitter: @ksk316 Read Kayla's blog: http://lovewriteeat.blogspot.com/
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.