Study Abroad Diaries: Cheerio, London. Cheerio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

As I write my last entry, I am filled and overwhelmed with emotion. I am so excited to go home and see my family, but I will definitely miss London and the people I’ve met here.

After all, who knows when I’ll be back…

The next time I come to London, I could have kids or even grandkids. I may never return to the city at all. If I come back, what will it look like? Having once lived in London, how will my perspective change…or will it?

No one knows what the future holds, but I am so glad I was given the opportunity to explore London and become immersed in the wonderful British culture.

I won’t ever forget ‘topping up’ my oyster card, being ridiculed in the office for not knowing how to make a “proper” cup of tea, or even sitting in an NHS hospital for twelve hours with the flu.

The trips to Be At One Bar with the girls, grabbing Ben and Jerry’s ice cream at the local convenient store, going karaoke singing with my coworkers, eating chicken kurma every Friday night–these are the little moments and experiences that will be impossible to forget.

When I first arrived in London, I was physically ill and simultaneously caught a case of home sickness. I had just left my boyfriend and couldn’t bear the thought of not seeing him for four months. For so long I wanted time to speed up so I could come home. Now the time has come to say goodbye and I’m having a hard time letting go. The NYU abroad site advisors warned us that right when you get comfortable, it’s time to leave. I didn’t know they would be so right.

What have I learned in London? I don’t really know yet. Sure I’ve learned editing tricks from my internship and the history of Britain from my history classes. I probably won’t recognize what I’ve learned in London until I must apply the lessons later on in life.

In Wisconsin on May 26th, I will wake up in my own bed and hear birds chirping, the lawn mower running, and smell coffee brewing. I’ll be disoriented, and think to myself, “what just happened in the last four months?” 

Goodbye 12×12 bedroom. Goodbye creepy man at the convenient store. Goodbye all my professors and mentors. Goodbye Pret A Manger sandwiches (forever). Goodbye delicious Indian food. Goodbye Be At One Bar (and legal drinking age). Goodbye Houses of  Parliament. Goodbye Prince Harry (until our wedding). Goodbye Big Benny.

And now I say my final farewell as my journey has come to an end. Goodbye, London.

Until (if) we meet again.

Kayla is an NYU senior majoring in journalism and history. She joined the Her Campus NYU (HCNYU) team in 2013 as a study abroad blogger and is now the site's Love and Relationships Editor. Along with being an editor for HCNYU, Kayla is a web editorial intern for Redbook magazine. She has contributed to and interned in the past with Cosmopolitan, Seventeen, Square Meal, Washington Square News, and Sumo Skinny. When Kayla isn't writing for HCNYU, she is working on her blog or drooling over her wall of Harry Styles pictures. Follow Kayla on Twitter: @ksk316 Read Kayla's blog: http://lovewriteeat.blogspot.com/
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.