A Playlist for Every Mood: From Crying in The Car to Committing Crime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I listen to music constantly these days. Rather than having the TV on in the background, I always have music playing. Whether I’m listening to something on my record player, or one of my playlists on Apple Music or Spotify, I am filling my life with music. From Hope Tala to Rihanna, to Lizzo, to Joni Mitchell, I always have someone singing the soundtrack to my life.

One of my favorite things to do in my spare time is finding new music to listen to. Whether it is finding a new artist or a new music genre to get into, there is no better feeling than finding some new music to obsess over. My favorite thing to do lately is finding playlists with funny names on Spotify or Apple Music. Here are some of my favorite playlists with hilarious titles that you should listen to. 

Misogyny Never Sounded So Good 

Despite the title, this playlist will get you excited and make you feel like a queen. This playlist features artists like Paramore, One Direction, Taylor Swift, Kanye, and more. Click the link above to give this playlist a listen or a follow. 

Bat Mitzvahs Get Sand in Places Where the Sun Doesn’t Shine 

For some summer bops, listen to “Bat Mitzvahs Get Sand in Places Where the Sun Doesn’t Shine.” Get ready to party this summer and sing along to artists like Nicki Minaj, TLC, Bruno Mars, Machine Gun Kelly, and more. Relax on the beach and tan with your friends and listen to “Santeria” by Sublime.  

Audible Adderall

To be able to focus, listen to “Audible Adderall” on Spotify today. This short but evocative playlist will both leave you feeling pumped and ready to get to work. These 20 songs are like a drug and will make your day. 

Teen Pregnancy 

To relate to all the teen moms on MTV’s Teen Mom, listen to “Teen Pregnancy” by Ellie Mehrara on Spotify. Featuring music from artists including SZA, Mac Miller, CHAI, Casper Jones, H.E.R., and more, this playlist is perfect for any party or a night in alone. 

Songs to Commit Crime To

To be a smooth criminal and get away with murder, listen to Beehaw’s “Songs to Commit Crime To.” Featuring songs like “Party Tattoos” by Dodie, “Talk to Me” by Cavetown, “The Story” by Conan Gray, “Bambi” by Hippo Campus, and more, this playlist isn’t one to miss. This 367 song playlist is perfect for any crime; listen to it on Spotify today. 

I Can’t Afford Therapy

As a substitute for therapy, listen to “I Can’t Afford Therapy” by Winona.Lu on Spotify today. This playlist includes soulful, heart-breaking artists, including Frank Ocean, Phoebe Bridgers, Lorde, Labrinth, Billie Eilish, and Giveon. Listen to this 89 song playlist and let all of your emotions out. Cry your heart out to “I Can’t Afford Therapy” on Spotify today. 

My Heart Says Yes But My Vocal Range Says No 

Also by Winona.Lu, sing along to “My Heart Says Yes But My Vocal Range Says No.” Scream to your heart’s content in the car to songs like “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” from Mulan, “The Schuyler Sisters” from Hamilton, “Cell Block Tango” from Chicago, and “You Will Be Found” from Dear Evan Hansen. Let your inner theatre geek out and bop along to classics from Broadway shows, including Newsies, Anastasia, RENT, and more.      

I Put the “FUN” in Funeral 

To make a party more hype, stream Charlescotte’s playlist “I Put the ‘Fun’ in Funeral” on Spotify today. Featuring music from artists including Queen, Vacations, Rex Orange County, Mother Mother, Gorillaz, Kendrick Lamar, and more, this playlist is perfect for any party. This 124 song playlist is perfect for any event; stream it on Spotify today.  

Crying in the Car 

If you want to cry in the car, listen to my playlist “Crying in the Car” on Apple Music or Spotify. Featuring artists including Taylor Swift, Adele, Ariana Grande, Carole King, Miley Cyrus, and more, listen to some oldie but goldies and sing along to early 2000’s bops. 

Unrealistic Romantic Expectations 

To embrace your inner hopeless romantic, listen to my playlist “Unrealistic Romantic Expectations” on Apple Music or Spotify today. Featuring songs like “I Knew” by Lizzy McAlpine, “Be My Mistake” by The 1975, “The Book of You and I” by Alec Benjamin, “First Love” by Adele, and “Grow As We Go” by Ben Platt, this playlist will both break your heart and make it grow. 

Honestly, You’re An Asshole

To get over an ex or replay an argument you just had, listen to “Honestly You’re An Asshole” by Aliza Schuler on Spotify. This playlist screams girl power and features artists including Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry, Fifth Harmony, Ariana Grande, Christina Aguilera, Beyoncé, and more. Play this in the car or a bedroom, and scream to your heart’s content. Stream this playlist on Spotify today.

I am a student at NYU Gallatin's School of Individualized Study concentrating in theatre, creative writing, and women's studies. I love performing, playing guitar, writing, and advocating for women's rights in my spare time! I love NYU and working with other women to change the world for the better. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I also write articles on my personal website mayamehrara.com.
Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief @ HerCampus NYU For comments, suggestions and queries, contact at zh1402@nyu.edu