This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Midterm season is upon us, y’all, and we know, it’s about to get wild. As we all know, midterms are incredibly stressful and potentially require all-nighters, gallons of coffee, and, honestly, a lot of emotional support. Here at Her Campus NYU, we have some tips and tricks to help you stay calm during this crazy time, as well as how to ace whatever you have thrown at you!

1. Make a study schedule. And stick to it.

This can seriously help with quelling anxiety about what to study when. Prioritize when your exams are and how prepared you feel for them, and make a schedule accordingly. Find friends to study with if they fit into your schedule, or simply find a quiet place on campus that works. By organizing your time, you will focus on getting parts of your studying done at certain times so you can move on to other subjects without feeling worried. 

2. Make sure you have enough to eat!

Bring snacks to campus to eat while studying. Either grab a piece of fruit or a granola bar on the go, or pick up a 99-cent piece of pizza on the way. Some of us get anxious around exam time and lose our appetites, but small, frequent meals or snacks can help with controlling that and provide you with the energy you need to study. Foods like apple slices, carrots, yogurt, or pretzels can be a great study snack!

3. Stay hydrated!

Coffee and other energy drinks can severely dehydrate you. Be sure you have ample water to replenish your body and keep your mind sharp. If you find yourself struggling to drink water, try mixing in some seltzer or fruit slices to make it more flavorful and fun.

4. Make sure you get enough sleep.

Just as you would allocate a specific time gap for your study schedule, you should also make sure that you’re getting enough sleep. Try adding bedtimes to your planner, or schedule a reminder on your phone telling you that it’s time to put an end to the day. This will prevent you from feeling groggy the next day to ensure you’re wide awake and focused.

5. Be okay with saying no.

This may come to a surprise, but not everyone is stressed during midterm season. Some friends might be inviting you to events or a party each night. Be okay with saying “no.” It might seem like you’re missing out, but keep your eye on the prize, or in this case, a stellar grade.

6. If possible, begin reviewing the notes or lectures for a midterm a week or two beforehand.

This will ensure that you won’t be “cramming” the night before an exam, which will help with feelings of anxiety or being overwhelmed when you actually sit down to officially study for the test.

7. Look to the Academic Resource Centre or Writing Center for study groups, tutors, or peers to help review your assignments and answer questions.

These are excellent ways to get help without venturing too far off campus or paying a crazy fee! You can making Writing Center appointments online, and the Academic Resource Center is an awesome place for meeting with study groups.

8. Try and make time for yourself, too.

Even if it’s reading, listening to a podcast, lighting a candle, painting your nails, or just taking a Netflix break, remember that mental health is the most important. Self-care truly helps to combat midterm season stress.

9. In the event of an emergency, mental health issue, or if you just need to talk, remember that friends, family, and the Wellness Exchange are always around to help.

The Wellness Exchange can be reached at 212-443-9999, or you can download the Wellness Exchange App and chat with a counselor 24 hours a day. 

No matter how your exam week goes, remember that this isn’t the end of the world! Don’t hesitate to reach out to peers in class, your professors, or teaching assistants if you need help. There are wonderful resources on campus to help you succeed.

Good luck everyone!

Image Credits: 1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7/ 8/ 9

Originally Canadian, Supriya grew up in rural South Carolina before going to school in New York City. She currently studies Global Public Health and Nutrition with a minor in Public Policy. She is passionate about empowering young women and enjoys travelling, reading, and eating ramen with her friends!
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.