Wellness > Health

How I Have Stayed in Shape While Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

For most of us, social distancing and quarantine have meant a disruption of routine and the lack of a gym – that is unless you are Jeffree Star and have a two-story gym inside your Hidden Hills home. For most of us, however, this is not a reality. Netflix binges and Uber Eats Thai have been a holy grail for most people while following the stay-at-home order. While it can be tempting to find yourself falling into this cycle of eating and watching television, it is now more important than ever to pay attention to your health, both mentally and physically. 

For this reason, I made a priority to stay fit and try to work out 4-5 times a week from the comfort of my home. While some days I dreaded my daily morning workout, I always feel so refreshed and energized afterward that it has become a part of my routine in the same way that going to the gym was. To say that getting to this point was easy would be a lie. I had to find ways to keep myself motivated. Ultimately, however, I can say that I feel very confident in the ways that I have kept myself moving. 

One of the biggest things that I credit my consistency with working out to is my Apple Watch. My boyfriend surprised me with my Apple Watch around April of this year and I was hooked. I set up my Apple Watch so that I had an exercise, calorie, and standing goal every day that I need to hit in order to close all my workout rings. Having these fitness goals has made working out become a challenge for me to complete every day. My watch also rewards me every time I hit new goals and workout streaks. Another motivating aspect of the watch is that I can compete with other friends who also have one. This allows us to push each other to do some exercise while making it a competition. I can honestly say that my watch has been one of the best motivations for me to work out almost every day and feel good about myself.

Another factor that has helped me to continue working out is watching Instagram Live

workout videos and YouTube workout videos for the days that I do not feel like making my own routine up. My favorite fitness guru is Maria Leguizamon (Colombian Mafia Fit). She always plays fun songs and sometimes will do different themed workouts to spice up the class. My favorite is her 90’s Workout on her YouTube channel featuring songs like “Mambo No. 5” and “La Vida Loca” by Ricky Martin. All that is required for the workout are a pair of three-to-five pound dumbbells and resistance bands. By the end of her workouts, I typically burn around 300 calories. Maria’s workouts are super fun and are the most enjoyable way to get my heart pumping.

One of the best ways to get an enjoyable workout is to workout with friends and family. Luckily for me, my boyfriend is an athlete and trainer so he will do socially distanced group workout sessions in the park with his sisters and myself. The workout is fun and enjoyable to spend with the people I care about because we can talk with each other at a safe distance during the session. I highly recommend getting your best friends together and going to a local park for a workout. Very little equipment is needed to get a good sweat going.

While most of staying in shape is what you eat, I have also prioritized eating healthier foods and cooking at home. Although it can be super tempting to pick up a quick In-N-Out on the way home from work, I have found that cooking my breakfast, lunch, and dinner has actually saved me so much more money. Additionally, if you are not a great cook, healthy and affordable meal kits like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron make the whole process of making meals so much easier. Eventually, finding recipes and cooking will become entertaining and who knows, you may even find a new passion!

All of these tips combined have been my secret formula for staying in shape during 2020. Although I miss the gym and Barry’s Bootcamp, the new normal hasn’t been too bad. If you are struggling with finding the motivation to workout, I highly recommend trying one of these tips as an investment for your future.

Hi my name is Cosette Terriquez. I am originally from Orange County, California and am now studying at New York University majoring in journalism. I am very passionate about beauty, fashion, and health and love to share my own tips and tricks. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my dog, trying out new makeup looks, and even posting on my own blog (cosetteterriquez.com). In the future I hope to have my own cosmetics line and inspire other men and women to express their true selves through the art of makeup. I am excited to write for Her Campus so that I can teach and share everything I know when it comes to these things I am passionate about.