This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

After a tumultuous two years with the current Trump administration, the midterm elections on November 6th provided comfort and relief. The Democrats becoming the majority within the House of Representatives served as reassurance to those gravely affected by the GOP’s policies. Alongside hateful rhetoric towards minority populations, these policies include the Muslim ban, family separation, putting children in cages, confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh as Supreme Court judge, and so many more. Hence the midterms this year saw a bit under 116 million people come out to vote. Although this number is lower than that of the 2016 presidential elections, no midterm has seen such high turnout rates since 1914. More notably, early voting among Americans aged 18 to 29 increased by 118% when compared to early voting in 2014. Such historic rates have been reflected in the historic wins achieved a few weeks ago, instilling a sense of hope among many.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

State: New York

Representing the 14th Congressional district, which makes up part of Bronx and Queens, Ocasio-Cortez truly reflects the diverse populations within the two boroughs. Only 29 years old, she is the youngest woman elected to the US Congress. She defeated Rep. Joe Crowley, who had held the position since 1999.

Key platforms:

• Universal healthcare funded through a single payer healthcare system

• Free public and vocational colleges alongside the expungement of student debt (she’s still paying off her student loans!!)

• Job guarantee with $15 minimum wage and all benefits included

• Abolishment of ICE and allow citizenship for undocumented immigrants, ensure greater protection for Dreamers

• Integration of 100% renewable energy in the US by 2035

Anna Eskamani

State: Florida

Florida’s state House now has the first Iranian-American member. Eskamani’s election is especially significant due to the U.S.’s aggressive economic policy towards Iran and the Muslim ban that has stopped Iranians from entering the country. Having the power to now create laws shows that the very people Trump has been trying to suppress are going to fight back.

Key platforms:

• Affordable housing and accessible public transportation

• Fully funded public schools, equal access to higher education and proper implementation of safety measures in schools

• Gun safety legislation

• Fracking ban and investment in renewable energy

• Expansion of Medicaid and focus on helping those suffering from the opioid epidemic

Ayanna Pressley

State: Massachusetts

The first black person from Massachusetts to be elected to the House of Representatives, Pressley believes that the 7th District needed a representative who looked like them. She was previously a Boston’s City Councilor, she has been vocal about the #MeToo movement, and was chosen as one of New York Time’s 2016 “14 Young Democrats to Watch.”

Key platforms:

• Abolishment of ICE, referring to it as “irrevocably broken

• Ban on assault weapons and stronger gun control regulations

• Provision of a living wage and equal pay

• Increase in college graduation rates of minorities

• Reduction in campus sexual assault through a codification of steps colleges must follow

Deb Haaland​

State: New Mexico

In her article on Fortune, Haaland recalls how Native Americans couldn’t even vote in New Mexico 50 years ago, but now she’s one of the first two Native American women elected to Congress. The 1st congressional district member-elect wants to ensure Native American lands are protected, not destroyed. Haaland wants to focus on people rather than profits, evident in her progressive stances.

Key platforms:

• Universal healthcare and regulation of big pharma

• An end to the school-to-prison pipeline

• Expansion of social security, no more trickle down economics

• Strict regulation of corporate polluters, 100% renewable energy  

• Protection and expansion of DACA, support of Sanctuary cities

Ilhan Omar

State: Minnesota

Who hasn’t heard of Ilhan Omar by know? She’s the first refugee, Somali-American, hijabi and one of two Muslim women to be elected to Congress. She isn’t afraid to bring forth her salient and non-salient identities, which resonates with the millions of Americans who feel they’ve been silenced and marginalized in this country. Omar’s election signifies the culmination of people’s frustrations with the current political climate, as she’s the antithesis of Trump’s administration.  

Key platforms:

• Investment in debt-free colleges and equal access to all tiers of education

• Reinvestment of the military budget

• Creation of a green economy and zero-waste communities  

• End disproportionate incarceration of people of color  

• Support LGBTQIA+ through ban on conversion therapy and provision of better mental health services

Jared Polis

State: Colorado

Polis is first gay man elected governor who has come out publicly. His position is extremely significant considering VP Pence’s hateful homophobic stances. The Colorado governor is determined to foster an equitable society for all communities.

Key platforms:

• Implementation of a “Red Flag” law to limit accessibility of firearms to dangerous people through an evidenced based petition and court hearing

• Free, full day preschool and kindergarten

• Universal access to high speed internet

• Eradication of racial disparities through supporting children of color succeed in school and tackling incarceration of minorities

• End housing insecurity among the veteran population

Rashida Tlaib

State: Michigan

Palestinian-American Tlaib has proved her dedication to her beliefs through her actions. Alongside Omar, she’s also a Muslim woman elected to Congress. She’s been vocal about Trump’s policies and two years ago, was arrested for interrupting one of his speeches in Detroit. Tlaib also hasn’t held back in criticizing the human rights violations faced by Palestinians under the Israeli government. She’s a powerful voice that we desperately needed, and that we now have.

Key platforms:

• Protection of unions, $15 minimum wage

• Expansion of Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid benefits

• Equal opportunity for homeownership

• Stop corporate welfare (tax breaks to Wall Street)

• End deportation and use of detention centers, welcome asylum seekers and protect Dreamers

Sharice Davids

State: Kansas

Davids understands multiple perspectives, starting from her identity as a gay Native American woman, daughter of a single mother and veteran, lawyer and economic advisor. Her win in a historically red state shows there’s a shift in American politics and it will continue to change.

Key platforms:

• Expansion of healthcare access, Medicare for all

• Abolish ICE, stop thinking of undocumented immigrants as criminals

• Implement gun control legislation

Image Credits: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9

Fareeha is majoring in Economics and Public Policy at CAS and only has two more years to go at NYU! Originally, she’s from Bangladesh, a country known for its breathtaking natural beauty and torrential monsoon rains. But she spent a few years in the hot, humid climate of Dubai and on the coastal city of Jakarta. On Her Campus, she writes what she's passionate about; everything from crazy politics to pop culture.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.