7 Superfoods for Glowing Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Beauty truly does radiate from the inside out. What we put on our plates has an enormous effect on not only our energy level and mood, but also our skin. While certain foods can trigger inflammation, dehydrate us, or spike our blood sugar levels, others can fight free-radical damage, boost collagen production and alleviate acne.

So, to have all your friends and family complimenting your complexion this upcoming holiday season, swap out some of your staple snacks with these seven superfoods to get your skin in tip-top shape. Food is our secret weapon in the glowing-skin game.

1. Avocados

Looking to stop premature aging and sun damage in its tracks? Try adding an avocado to your daily diet. Avocados are loaded with carotenoids, which are plant pigments that act as antioxidants in humans. Antioxidants fight free radicals, and free radicals result in wrinkles. Avocados are also amazing at reducing redness and irritation because they are naturally rich in anti-inflammatory omega-9 fatty acids. Plus, avocados combat skin dryness. The omega-9s in avocados help to keep the outermost layer of our skin, the epidural layer, plump and moisturized with a high water content, which is exactly what we all need as New York City becomes increasingly colder, windier and drier.

2. Salmon

Similar to avocados, salmon is full of omega-3s, which is another fatty acid that reduces inflammation in the body. Less inflammation leads to fewer breakouts and diminished redness. So, if you tend to struggle with acne, eczema, or rosacea, salmon should become your “apple a day” to keep your skin woes away. But don’t take my word for it: Victoria Beckham, following her dermatologist’s advice, eats salmon every single day for a clear complexion. New research indicates that the omega-3s both impede inflammatory responses and inhibit enzymes called matrixins, which are responsible for breaking down the collagen that keeps our skin youthful, firm and lifted. Salmon may just be the cure for both acne and wrinkles. Plus, salmon is high in vitamins B and D, and biotin, which are all crucial for proper cell turnover (aka radiant skin).

3. Blueberries

Blueberries are an excellent choice for those with oily or acne-prone skin. Blueberries are naturally rich in vitamin A, which helps to normalize oil production, and too much oil generally leads to blemishes. So, if you wake up with a breakout, break out the blueberries.

Blueberries are also antioxidant power-houses, which help our skin cells fight off damage from pollution, smoke and the sun. In fact, one cup of blueberries gives you a quarter of the recommended, daily intake of vitamin C, and countless studies have shown that these sweet, petite berries can help lower blood pressure and improve digestion.

4. Sweet Potatoes

With Thanksgiving around the corner, be sure to include a helping of sweet potatoes on your plate. Thanks to their bright orange color, sweet potatoes are loaded with vitamin C, which is essential in collagen production. Research has even shown that eating sweet potatoes helps prevent wrinkles. One study conducted in 2007 by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that people who consumed half of a sweet potato every day for three years had an 11 percent reduction in the appearance of wrinkles. Who knew that a potato could replace all of our anti-wrinkle lotions and potions?

5. Goji Berries

While goji berries are a relatively-new addition to mainstream’s superfood arsenal, they have been used for hundreds of years in traditional Chinese medicine, as they are thought to be the “fountain of youth.” Despite being a fruit, just one cup of these mighty berries contains 12 grams of protein. Plus, they contain 18 amino acids, more iron than spinach, the highest beta-carotene content of any food, and more vitamin C than an orange. Whew. That’s a lot for one little berry.

Goji berries not only aid in balancing hormones, reducing cramps and improving eyesight, but they also can help us get our glow on. Rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals that combat free-radical damage, goji berries enhance our skin’s smoothness and clarity. With a flavor that combines the sweetness of a raisin and the tartness of a cranberry, goji berries are delicious to snack on.  

6. Flaxseeds

Although flaxseeds don’t swim in the sea, they are packed with omega-3s just like salmon, making them the perfect choice for vegans. Flaxseeds not only keep skin redness and itchiness under control, but they also build up skin’s hydration levels. According to one study published in the British Journal of Nutrition, people who ate half a teaspoon of omega-3s daily for six weeks had less skin irritation and decreased dryness. This is because fatty acids attract water into skin cells, making them plumper. An added bonus? You can even use pure flaxseed oil directly on your skin to alleviate dry patches and calm irritation, and it works as a super gentle eye makeup remover.

7. Cacao

Before revealing the wonderful benefits of cacao, it’s important to understand what it actually is, as it is frequently confused with cocoa. While both cacao and cocoa come from the same tree, called the Theobroma Cacao located in Central and South America, cocoa is heated and processed to subdue its strong flavor. This processing causes cocoa to lose between 60 and 90 percent of its precious nutrients. Cacao, on the other hand, remains unprocessed and thus retains a much higher level of vitamins, minerals and micronutrients (over 40 times the amount of antioxidants found in blueberries!)  

The flavonals in cacao are responsible for cacao’s ability to perfect our complexions. Research published in the Journal of Nutrition verifies that daily consumption of flavonals improves microcirculation of the blood to skin’s surface, increases oxygen saturation and boosts skin’s hydration. The result? Our skin literally glows from within, and its texture becomes oh-so-smooth.

Cacao can be incorporated into your daily routine seamlessly: simply sprinkle some raw cacao powder into your morning cup of coffee for added sweetness and a softer, luminous complexion. Need another reason to add it to your diet? Cacao is armed with mood-lifting chemicals, including serotonin, anandamide, phenylethylamine and dopamine, making us feel happier. And happy girls are the prettiest girls.

Beauty isn’t just skin deep. Harnessing the nutritional powers of these seven, delicious superfoods will help you radiate from the inside out with a glowing, smooth, even and clear complexion because we truly are what we eat.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9

Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.