6 Things You Can Do Everyday to Build Self-Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

We’ve all had days where we’ve felt worthless. Here are a few things that help me build back my confidence when I’m feeling down. “Beauty has so many forms, and I think the most beautiful thing is confidence and loving yourself.” – Kiesza

1. Update your wardrobe

If you’re wearing the same red sweater every week, it’s time to switch it up. You don’t even have to spend a ton of money for a wardrobe update. Venture out to a local thrift shop with a few friends! You can sell your older clothes and replace them with newer ones. If you look good, you’re going to feel good. Here’s a list of some inexpensive clothing stores to help you kickstart that wardrobe update.

2. Start your day by writing three goals you wish to achieve today, then go do it!

I like to keep a small diary and write a list of goals for the day. It doesn’t have to be anything big, it could be something as simple as substituting a slice of pizza for a bowl of salad. Or finishing two paragraphs of that essay that’s due next week. Make goals that are attainable. Ticking them off at the end of the day will make you feel like you’ve achieved something and immediately boost your confidence! Here’s a guide to get you started on creating daily goals.

3. Meditate

We’re all stressing out over finals right now. Make time to calm your mind. It could be spending five minutes after you wake up practicing breathing exercises or listening to calming music before you crash at night. Feeling relaxed will make you feel more in control of your life. Here’s some meditation techniques you can practice to feel more grounded.

4. Clean your space

If the space around you is dirty you’re bound to feel cluttered and suffocated. What part of your apartment or dorm do you spend the most time at? Keep that area as de-cluttered as possible.  Rearranging some things around and clearing your desk will make you want to work harder. You’ll feel more in control and will feel more comfortable in your space. Here’s ways to clean your apartment quickly and efficiently.

5. Adjust your posture

Sit and stand tall. Studies show that “sitting up straight will make you happier, more confident and less risk-averse.” You will also look more sure of yourself and beautiful. Sitting straight also increases the flow of oxygen to your head making you feel more relaxed and less sleepy. Here’s the benefits to adjusting your posture.

6. And finally, don’t forget to smile

It is proven that smiling reduces stress making you feel more relaxed. We’ve already seen that being relaxed means more self assurance and a confidence boost. Smiling also makes you more approachable, more attractive and boosts performance. So the next time you’re having a bad day force yourself to smile, you’ll trick your brain into feeling better. Here are a list of things that are bound to make you smile.

Images 1/2/3/4/5/6

Nishka Dhawan is an NYU alumnus. She graduated with a double major in Psychology and Journalism and has been a freelance writer and blogger ever since. She's written for CNN Underscored, Mogul, and most recently started working as a tech writer for Digital Trends. When she's not writing you can find her nestling in with a good book while listening to her favorite tunes. Reach out to her at nishka1997@gmail.com to share your controversial opinions and stories.         
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com