Style

6 Fashion & Beauty Trends Making Way This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

For many people, a new year means a new routine, a new goal, and maybe even a new beginning. For me, it means new fashion trends. 2021 has begun on a strong note with this year’s latest trends and I love them. It may be difficult for some to keep up with what is up and coming in the fashion world, and for that reason, I have condensed it down to a list of six trends that are super in and extremely simple to implement into your wardrobe.

Trend #1

A color that I have seen everywhere is brown. I have seen brown co-ords, brown on brown top and bottom pairings, and brown in just about every clothing item you can think of. I like the brown trend because it gives off 90’s vibes, which is a recurring element with many fashion trends these days. This trend has also been seen on celebs like Kylie Jenner, Hailey Bieber, and even Meghan Markle. I highly recommend trying to implement more brown in your wardrobe if you haven’t already. You may fall in love!

#2

When I was younger, all I could think about was the day that I would switch from my plastic rings to gold and silver. Today, however, it seems as though all the Insta-fashionistas are dropping their Cartier’s and Tiffany’s for chunky plastic rings. A brand I have seen the most is Moncher Moi. I have noticed that people who rep the brand have at least three on the one hand and are the definition of never having too much jewelry.

#3

This next piece is one that anyone could run to their local thrift store to find – sweater vests. I have seen sweater vests EVERYWHERE, and at first glance, I was iffy about it. However, I am slowly starting to change my opinion. I have witnessed sweater vests typically layered over long sleeve tops, and that is a statement I can get behind.

#4

Another huge 90’s trend making its way back into the forefront is fur – preferably on the trim of tops, jackets, coats, and even bottoms. This new trend gives off Josie and the Pussycats vibes, and I am here for it! I have yet to implement faux fur into my closet as some of the pieces can be pricey but, until I find an affordable option, there is a space in my closet expecting its arrival.

#5 

Following the revolving 90’s fashion trend pattern, hair claws are extremely hot right now. Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid, Hailey Bieber, and Kaia Gerber, to name a few of Hollywood’s biggest celebrities, are some that have been rocking the hair claw. A brand that I am loving is that of Emijay. They have tons of super in-style hair accessories that are perfect for the season.

#6 

This last trend is one that is slowly coming to the forefront, and that is GAP hoodies. I have seen clothing items on Insta celebs like Emma Chamberlain and Barbara Kristofferson, and while it does seem a bit surprising, I think I like it. It is a trend that many didn’t see coming but is very affordable and, when styled correctly, makes a great fashion statement.

There you have it! Six different trends that are certain to spruce up your closet this winter/spring season. While every option is super cute, my favorite part is the affordability of them. I think they are accessible pieces to most people and are a great way to try something new and feel chic. 

Hi my name is Cosette Terriquez. I am originally from Orange County, California and am now studying at New York University majoring in journalism. I am very passionate about beauty, fashion, and health and love to share my own tips and tricks. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my dog, trying out new makeup looks, and even posting on my own blog (cosetteterriquez.com). In the future I hope to have my own cosmetics line and inspire other men and women to express their true selves through the art of makeup. I am excited to write for Her Campus so that I can teach and share everything I know when it comes to these things I am passionate about.
Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief @ HerCampus NYU For comments, suggestions and queries, contact at zh1402@nyu.edu