Wellness > Health

5 NYC Fitness Classes to Get Your Sweat On This Spring!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Remember all of those cute athletic sets you hoarded this winter? Well, spring is here, which means it’s finally time to put them on and strut down University Place! While you’re at it, why not try out a new fitness class? 

After over a year of isolating and Chloe Ting workouts from home, new safety measures are increasing, and studios all around the city are opening back up. These 5 must-try group fitness classes have opened back up in NYC and allow you to get those workouts in, all while staying safe!

Rumble

Are you a UFC fighter in the making? Look no further than Rumble Boxing! This zero-experience-necessary gym boasts a 10-round, 45-minute fight that is evenly divided between two styles of training. You spend half of the class exploring boxing drills and skills, and the other half resistance training. For your first class, you can expect a pre-class breakdown and warmup, followed by several rounds between the “bag” and “floor,” all wrapped up with a post-class dance party! Newbies get a BOGO deal- buy your first class at $36 and you get the second on them! If you’re needing more time in the ring, they offer class packages, their largest at 30 classes for $900.

Their NoHo location is a convenient 3 blocks from Washington Square Park, but they have additional locations in Tribeca, Flatiron/Chelsea, Upper East Side, and Brooklyn.

Rumble is committed to following guidelines set by the CDC and WHO. Masks are required by all staff and attendees, capacity is reduced in accordance with local guidelines, and they have added additional time for disinfecting the studio between classes. 

Pure Barre

If you’re looking to channel your inner-ballerina and have a lower-impact workout, Pure Barre might be your best fit! They offer a total body Barre workout with the slogan “Small movements, big results.” You can choose from several different class types: Foundations, Classic, Pure Empower, and Pure Reform. Their Barre workout incorporates techniques from Ballet, Yoga, and Pilates- making you sore in muscles you didn’t even know existed!

For first timers, Pure Barre offers a Free Foundations Intro class to get you introduced to the studio and the barre technique. They require grip socks for your workout, so make sure to bring your own pair or purchase a pair at the studio. 

They have West Village & Union Square locations that are just a short walk from NYU Campus. Additional locations are in Central Park South, Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Long Island City, and Brooklyn.

In accordance with regulations, they have reduced class sizes, eliminated hands-on corrections, and modified equipment use. Classes are spaced at 30 minutes to allow time for sanitization.

305 Fitness

305 is the talk of the town! Raved about on ABC, Cosmopolitan, and The New York Post, 305 is known for making you #DanceLikeNoOnesWatching. The best part? Until they can offer indoor classes, 305 is completely outdoor- meaning you get to soak up Vitamin D and the fresh Spring air, all while shakin’ your booty! If that isn’t enough to get you on the dance floor, 305 is acclaimed for their inclusive & empowering environment, DJ dance parties, and instructors that are certified in hyping you up. 

All classes are $30 and held at Bryant Park, in front of the New York Public Library. If you would prefer an indoor workout, they also offer live streamed classes. Less than $1 a day gives you access to a demand library of cardio, PWR, HIIT, and stretching content, in addition to live classes.

SoulCycle

SoulCycle is a staple workout for many celebrities, and you might even find some frequenting the Tribeca location! This 45-minute class combines choreography and cycling for a full-body workout that will leave you limping your way home. It has become more than just a cycling class- it is a pop culture phenomenon and described as addicting- some even refer to the community as a “cult.” 

New riders get their first class for $25 and from there on you can purchase classes in many different packages. For your first class, many advise to pace yourself. SoulCycle is popular for a reason- it is known to produce real results by offering an incredibly intense workout. The class is meant to be something you grow into and get used to, so prepare yourself for an adjustment period! Pro tip: the SoulCycle website suggests to wear padded bike shorts or use a cushioned gel seat as a beginner. The bike seat is a bit uncomfortable at first and will require some getting used to! 

SoulCycle offers both Outdoor and Indoor studios. To ride outdoors in the sun, check out the Hudson Yards and Tribeca locations. If indoor cycling is more your style, and you prefer mandatory masks while riding, they are open at East 83rd, West 92nd, 19th, and Williamsburg. All equipment is santitized between classes, and masks are required whenever you are not riding.

Barry’s Bootcamp

You can’t go wrong with the basics. The basics being a Military-Style Bootcamp, of course. Barry’s Bootcamp urges you to join the Red Room and burn up to 1,000 calories in a single 60-minute class. The original HIIT workout is 50% treadmill and 50% strength training. If you’re not feeling like running, they also offer a double floor option where you spend the entire class strength training. Each day of the week is dedicated to a different part of your body- Thursday “Abs & Ass” are my personal favorite. Don’t forget to pre-order a protein shake before class, they’ll have it ready at their “Fuel Bar” as you walk out of the studio and onto your day!

As a NYC First timer, you can get a 3-pack of classes for $60, where a regular single class is $38. If you can’t get enough of Barry’s, they offer many class packages and memberships. You can join the Red Room at Chelsea, NoHo, Park Ave South, Tribeca, Upper East Side, or Upper West Side. With locations around the world, Barry’s is an international fitness community. 

We're the Her Campus NYU Contributor Account!
Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief @ HerCampus NYU For comments, suggestions and queries, contact at zh1402@nyu.edu