Style

5 Must-Have Pieces to Curate an #Aliyahcore Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

If you’re on TikTok as much as most Gen-Z-ers, you’ve probably had one of @AliyahsInterlude’s TikToks grace your “For You” page. Aliyah Bah is a nineteen-year-old American TikToker known for her love of alternative fashion and the color pink; these two loves combined to form her eponymous style, “aliyahcore.” 

@aliyahsinterlude1

New video on how to style #aliyahcore on my youtube channel , link in bio cuties 🤭💕💖💓💗 #fyp #aliyahcore

♬ original sound – aliyahsinterlude

The hyperfemme, maximalist aesthetic is characterized by its color coordination, asymmetry  and surplus of accessories. The look usually involves several key pieces: garters, fur, several belts, fishnets, gloves and chunky shoes – the more accessories, the better. Start with a simple base outfit and layer, layer, layer!

@aliyahsinterlude1

Replying to @jamess.raww First Aliyahcore 4 men outfit 🤭💖, it can be feminine or masculine whichever u choose lol , check out @SajalieX music 🖤🖤 #fyp #aliyahcore

♬ original sound – aliyahsinterlude
@aliyahsinterlude1

Replying to @bokutotheestallion Aliyahcore is for everybody , no matter the size🥰🤭💖💓💞💕 !! luv u guys 😘💖 #aliyahcore #fyp

♬ original sound – makayla!

Now that the weather is warming up, it’s the perfect time to start experimenting with the – admittedly scantily clad – look; here are a few must-have pieces to fill out your Aliyahcore wardrobe.

Premium Tailored Mini Skirt- Nasty Gal

Mini-skirts are a necessity for a classic Aliyahcore fit; Aliyah, herself, is rarely seen without one. This purple mini skirt from Nasty Gal is a great basic that you can accessorize as you flesh out your look. If you’re feeling daring enough to brave its barely-there length, try their low rise cord star seam micro mini skirt.

Icon Pink Nylon Boots – Moon Boot

Huge, eye-catching shoes add interest to what could be a fairly simple outfit. With their chunky and eye-catching silhouette, Moon Boots aren’t for the faint of heart; they are, however, a staple in Aliyah Bah’s wardrobe. The Swing-815 Boots from Demonia are another fave, perfect for stomping around campus (and onto your Instagram feed).

Faux Fur Earmuffs – ASOS

Fur accessories are a must, whether they be legwarmers, gloves or earmuffs. Faux fur is preferable – no animals need to be harmed for you to have a fire outfit! These faux fur earmuffs from ASOS are a perfect Aliyahcore accessory. If earmuffs aren’t your thing, try out ASOS’s Faux Fur Ski Headband.

Press Charges Fishnet Shrug – Dolls Kill

Fishnets are great for layering, and this fishnet shrug is just unique enough to keep your outfit interesting. Try it under a t-shirt, or paired with a bikini top or bandeau. For a more orthodox, but still cute, option, try the open fishnet tights from Target. They’re available in five different colors, for maximum versatility! 

Glitz Rhinestone Belt – Buckle

Aliyah likes to stack two or three belts in her outfits for maximum glamor, dipping her toe into campy maximalism. Flashy, statement belts like this one from Buckle are another accessory to make your outfits more dynamic. You can even layer it with this pyramid studding belt or this silver chunky chain belt from ASOS!

Now that you have an idea of what it takes to craft an #Aliyahcore outfit, I hope you can go out and make Aliyah proud. In the words of the self-proclaimed “It Girl” herself: “Aliyahcore today, tomorrow, yesterday and all of 2023!”

Monique Ezeh is a senior at NYU, where she studies politics, journalism, and creative writing. She is a multi-disciplinary writer and researcher, an activist, and a lover of funky earrings. She's also on the social media team for HCNYU! When she's not writing (which is rare), you can usually find Monique baking banana bread, going on long walks, and waiting patiently for Noname's next album.