This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you’re on TikTok, you’ve most likely heard of the current trend “Aliyah Core.” “Aliyah Core” is an alternative-style fashion trend sweeping over college-aged people. This style was coined by a 19-year-old content creator named Aliyah Bah. Her content blew up on the platform overnight, leading her to amass millions of followers. 

As Aliyah is a college-aged woman, all of this fame must have been extremely overwhelming but also empowering. Bah’s fashion is described as alternative, hyper-feminine and the opposite of the “basic girl” fashion trends. Bah did an interview with Passionfruit discussing her inspirations and the effects the fame has had on her. 

Bah states that what sparked her interest in this realm of fashion was Black celebrities; specifically Destiny’s Child, Missy Elliot and Alicia Keys. She aims to lift up Black alternative fashion and re-popularize it with her own twist. In addition, she aims to create a safe space on the platform for those to express themselves in whichever way that may mean for them.

grace gaustad interview?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Photo by Sharum Ari

She refers to her content as a “Visual Diary of an It Girl,” a genre that is reminiscent of early YouTube. She enjoys posting her outfits almost every day, displaying the different avenues of her style and filtering the community that she has begun. Bah states that she has been taking bits and pieces from Y2K, Harajuku and streetwear styles to craft “Aliyah Core.”

She also decided to use the term “core” because of the prevalence of the term on social media, for example, cottage core. Bah’s interview with Passionfruit states “an Aliyah Core look demands several essential items: fishnets, mini skirts, garnets, boots, belts, ear muffs and other splashy accessories. While Bah is known for a feminine style, as she explained in a viral TikTok with over 3.8 million views, the viral aesthetic can be both masculine and feminine.”

Bah plans to bring “Aliyah Core” even further and transform it into a clothing brand. She would like to create a high-fashion brand based on the elements that she is already working with, a brand similar to Gucci and Prada. She is currently aiming to release her brand sometime this year. With her large number of followers comes a large amount of love… and hate.

She, like every other content creator, has received a mass amount of hate over her outfits; however, she has also experienced an immense amount of love from her fans. One of her fans, Lizzo, has recreated some of her most popular outfits. Bah explains that she loves the community she created on her platform and has also made friends with many other content creators in her field. 

What do you think about “Aliyah Core?” Is it your cup of tea or not? Either way, I think that we can all agree that Aliyah Bah is an extremely talented and influential young woman. 

Irelyn Rogan is studying Elementary Education with a minor in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University. Irelyn is a third-year student, and this is her fifth semester as a HerCampus journalist! She is very interested in lifestyle, pop culture, and entertainment in general.